Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Total War

Default Napoleon Total War

Okay so I've given this a bit of a go. Here's a list of thoughts about it after a couple hours or so.

1. Graphics are better. Animations are better. More smoke, more muzzle flash. If anything the graphics are almost so good that they enter happy valley territory.

2. Cannon fire is much more accurate, but troops get out of the way better, so it's less of a kill fest. Artillery in general is a lot less stupid when you're using it.

3. The new supply system is great. You don't press a button to replen your armies any more, it just happens gradually if the army is getting supplies. Means no more stomping round the world.

4. The loot button is back when you conquer a town.

5. More multiplayer options, as yet not explored though.

6. More structure. The turns cover a couple of weeks not six months now and campaigns are tightly focussed. The Italy campaign which I've played is literally just, 'Here you go Chief, conquer them twats on the far side of the map, k?'

7. Battle AI is better, not perfect. Still did some daft things. Still better is better. For instance I attacked an AI army and it actually defended, rather than attacking me.

8. Feels very lean compared to Empire. Not a whole lot of units. Lots of ships though, more variation here and all good.

9. Battles just feel a bit more connected, like you're more in control. Units have a little less rigidity and are less prone to doing stupid things.

10. Square formation isn't just a 'press X to kill cavalry' button. They now look awesome when cavalry shits out on a charge against them. In square your men won't try to evade cannon balls though, hence they are now distinctly more dangerous, as they ought to be, compared to Empire.

My general view is that it's good. It's less game than Empire was, but what they have is better. Can't help thinking it's a bit of a shame you can't go stomping over India or the US with these new graphics though.
    This machine kills purple dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovis View Post
    3. The new supply system is great. You don't press a button to replen your armies any more, it just happens gradually if the army is getting supplies. Means no more stomping round the world.
    Sounds cool. It is interesting though that it took them umpteen versions of the game to do something about the "roving stack of doom".
    Xbox Live/GFW Live: Sibben71 --- Steam: Sibben

A few screenies to show the better land battle graphics. Much more smoke and flame going on, you get proper muzzle flashes from the musketry now. In the pics you can see me successfully mashing up some Beduin camel jockeys in Egypt. They are tough bastards, the can move freely in the desert and camels are too dense to respect an infantry square, so they mash right through. First time I fought camels I thought it'd be easy. Got butchered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Its a bit weird how this game has improved on Empire it almost every way, yet is getting generally lower scores from reviewers.

For me, it sounds as if the battle/campaign AI still hasn't progressed to a point where the game is worth buying.
    The sooner you get behind in your work, the more time you have to catch up.

I don't think I'd rate it as highly as Empire either, though I couldn't really say for sure why. Just think it feels smaller.

I don't think I'd rate it as highly as Empire either, though I couldn't really say for sure why. Just think it feels smaller.
    I'm getting the same vibe, I think I'd feel cheated if I'd bought this on it's own and then played Empire. I think the thing is is that it is very much an expansion but where as all the old Total War expansions where bolted on to their games, this one is stand alone so you can't use all the stuff from Empire, which is a shame because without The Americas and India it feels very small.
    I blame Moose!

Being able to repair ships in battle is epic though.

Didn't they patch that into Empire in the end?
    The sooner you get behind in your work, the more time you have to catch up.

Not to my knowledge. Maybe.

Being able to repair ships in battle is epic though.
    Yeah it's rather nifty but I must say, why did they change the UI? Again? It's horrible now.
    I blame Moose!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast