Thread: Crownless - Protection Warrior (for real this time >_>)

Cool Crownless - Protection Warrior (for real this time >_>)

Character name: Crownless
    Desired class/spec:Protection Warrior
    Role breakdown: I don't think you're interested in hearing me breakdown my class mechanics in too much detail, i.e. discussing individual skills and stat priorities, so I'll keep this basic. A tank's role is to take the hate and damage from mobs and bosses so that nobody else has to. It's the tank's job to protect the group as much as possible, while mitigating as much damage as possible to themselves. Basically, I get slapped so the rest of you don't have to be! If I'm not being mainslapped (it's a word now), it's my job to support whoever is being slapped while I offslap (also a word) through demoralizing shout, vigilance etc.

Raiding experience: I have not played WoW consistently since the Burning Crusade, so my raiding experience in any newer content is sadly quite lacking. However, I used to be part of a hardcore raiding guild that fluctuated from rank 1 to rank 2 on the server. My experience is some Vanilla raiding, namely MC, ZG,Onyxia. BC raiding, namely: Karazhan, Gruul, Magtheridon, TempestKeep and Serpentshrine Cavern. I was part of the progress group on TK and SSC (pre nerf), but real life meant that I had to quit wow before we actually downed Kael and Lady Vashj, even though we had some great attempts at them.
    When it comes to WoD, I guess LFR is all the experience I have in raid instances, though I don't feel like LFR is exactly demanding or representative of raiding as a whole. I do have my Legendary ring though, so that's something.

Mechanics quiz: Please give a brief description of how you would play in the following encounters (don't post an encounter guide)
    You only need to fill in the roll you want to play.

• Healer: - Iskar
    • DPS: - Hellfire High Council

Hey! What about us tanks! I saw the next post had a boss for tanks, but unfortunately I have done 0 raiding since BC and cannot truthfully answer that question, as I simply do not know. However, how about a little breakdown of the Al'ar fight? I always thought that was a cool fight with a lot of movement and other shenanigans. I'll keep it very brief.
    This fight requires a whole bunch of tanks. Al'ar must be tanked on his little platforms that he switches between on the upper side of the room, so while one tank has aggro the other tank needs to run to the next platform before he flies there to keep aggro. There is also a tank on the floor level that should deal with Al'ar's spawning adds.
    After the platforms phase Al'ar comes down to the middle and now we have to keep in mind his abilities which necessitate a tank swap. As usual in any fight, avoid the big glowy pits of fiery death. When he dies, he comes back for one last attempt at you, just like in every good horror movie. Not a terribly complicated fight, but very dynamic with lots of movement. A whole bunch of fun!
    References: Svante
    Expectations: Be part of a fun, laid back community that brings back for me the social aspects of WoW, be that through raiding, dungeoneering or just hanging out with people you like and can talk to.

Additional information:
    My character is a Blacksmith/Miner. I am currently studying in Germany for my Master's degree. I enjoy playing games, as well as reading and some other stuff.

Edit: The thread I tried to post had formatting issues and was unreadable, hopefully this one reads better.

Default Re: Crownless - Protection Warrior (for real this time >_>)

"role breakdown" is a chance for you to show some knowledge.
    Active mitigation use, responsibilities in a raid environment. You're correct we don't want/need a complete breakdown, but just some "pro tips" to show us an awareness goes a long way.

Your "experience" section is more detailed than it needed to be, but definitely good ^^
    Honesty is needed!
    For the mechanics quiz I took the tank encounter out because we hadn't been looking for a tank and dps/healers kept filling it in.
    It is VERY important for us to know your level of encounter knowledge though.
    Do you know the fights or do we need to baby you through them?

All that said, we currently have 2 active tanks. A third tank would be welcome, but you'd need to work towards Mythic.
    If you're happy to join the raid team knowing you'll be benched on progress and may need to offspec, we're happy to try you out.
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    "role breakdown" is a chance for you to show some knowledge.
    Active mitigation use, responsibilities in a raid environment. You're correct we don't want/need a complete breakdown, but just some "pro tips" to show us an awareness goes a long way.

Your "experience" section is more detailed than it needed to be, but definitely good ^^
    Honesty is needed!
    For the mechanics quiz I took the tank encounter out because we hadn't been looking for a tank and dps/healers kept filling it in.
    It is VERY important for us to know your level of encounter knowledge though.
    Do you know the fights or do we need to baby you through them?

All that said, we currently have 2 active tanks. A third tank would be welcome, but you'd need to work towards Mythic.
    If you're happy to join the raid team knowing you'll be benched on progress and may need to offspec, we're happy to try you out.
    Hey, thanks for the response!

Yeah, sorry,misunderstood a bit what I should have written under role breakdown. I'll attempt a bit more detail here:

For a prot warrior we shield block to mitigate physical and shield barrier for non-physical based damage. Demoralizing shout at the right time, when for instance a big spike in damage is coming (soft enrages) or when pulling a big group. When things go wrong, as they sometimes do, we have our beloved shield wall to reduce damage significantly. If it gets worse,last stand + enraged regeneration works wonders.

Shield slam along with Revenge is our bread and butter, with devastate filling in the spots of the rotation when either are on cooldown. Spam heroic strike in between skills if you have excess rage to dump. Our stat priority isA rmor > Mastery > Versatility = Critical strike > everything else.

As for being babied through encounters, no babying will be necessary!

Before any raid I do my homework thoroughly and always come prepared. I'll be sure to ask any questions I'm not 100% sure about long before the actual raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Crownless View Post
    Hey, thanks for the response!

Yeah, sorry,misunderstood a bit what I should have written under role breakdown. I'll attempt a bit more detail here:

For a prot warrior we shield block to mitigate physical and shield barrier for non-physical based damage. Demoralizing shout at the right time, when for instance a big spike in damage is coming (soft enrages) or when pulling a big group. When things go wrong, as they sometimes do, we have our beloved shield wall to reduce damage significantly. If it gets worse,last stand + enraged regeneration works wonders.

Shield slam along with Revenge is our bread and butter, with devastate filling in the spots of the rotation when either are on cooldown. Spam heroic strike in between skills if you have excess rage to dump. Our stat priority isA rmor > Mastery > Versatility = Critical strike > everything else.

As for being babied through encounters, no babying will be necessary!

Before any raid I do my homework thoroughly and always come prepared. I'll be sure to ask any questions I'm not 100% sure about long before the actual raid.
    Glad to hear it ^^
    People often don't consider the "why" when using application forms :P

I will suggest that your stat priority may be unnecessary.
    We're reaching the part of the expansion where we're outgearing content significantly, so a "defensive" mindset no longer works.
    I''ll be honest and admit to not knowing how a Prot Warrior should approach Mythic content (prot Pally has been spoiled, we just get haste) but stacking crit is viable and increases your damage significantly.
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

You can just poke around for a guild invite though.
    I already accepted you, providing you understand you're in a team of 3 tanks and may not get preference for the tanking role.
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Glad to hear it ^^
    People often don't consider the "why" when using application forms :P

I will suggest that your stat priority may be unnecessary.
    We're reaching the part of the expansion where we're outgearing content significantly, so a "defensive" mindset no longer works.
    I''ll be honest and admit to not knowing how a Prot Warrior should approach Mythic content (prot Pally has been spoiled, we just get haste) but stacking crit is viable and increases your damage significantly.
    Haha, that's exactly what I've been doing. Been stacking crit and it's a ton of fun to boot.

Thanks a ton for the acceptance, I should transfer tomorrow and poke around

See you in the green chat!