Thread: Malkroth - Resto Shaman

Default Malkroth - Resto Shaman

(When i pasted this into the new topic page, it changed it all to bold and wouldn't let me fix it or the strangely formatted paragraph on raid xp... not filling it out again in this window, apologies, added extra spacing instead for legibility.)

Character name: Malkroth

Desired class/spec: Shaman, MS Resto, OS Enhance (only due to current state of ele tbh)

Role breakdown: (outline your understanding of your class. Display your knowledge, don't parrot a guide)

Not sure why anyone would parrot a guide for resto shaman, all stat weights given in the guides are best guesses based on top end raiders as no one has even created a simcraft profile for resto shaman (apparently our stat interactions are too crazy for anyone to bother making an accurate one). Personally i prefer to go the mastery > haste priority route as our mastery fills a niche that no other healers do and haste greatly reduces the weakest point of resto shaman.... the reliance on hard casts. Also this prio appears to work the best with with the current raid tier because of how our 4set/class trink/lvl 100 talents interact with each other (riptides everywhere and additional chain heal chaining, thus increasing chain heal spam which is a looong cast, bumping haste up my priority). 'Rotation' is to try keep healing rain up, splash out the riptides as much as possible and spam chain heal with a few elemental blasts worked in to keep the mana regen going, use unleash and healing surge for single target heals (despite what the guides tell you) because mana is a non-issue and healing wave just sucks most of the time (low damage taken being the exception), use healing stream in both aoe and single target because... gcd-free heals. I tend to keep ascension as an 'oh crap' cd and healing tide for cd rotations in fights, I'll use spirit link as ordered or when lacking instructions it gets thrown out when there's burst damage inc and the healing may get dicey or is already dicey. I only use BL when instructed so if you don't call it you don't get it (left over habit from spending too much time shouting at people for using it at stupid times)

Raiding experience: (what have you accomplished? What has it taught you?)

In terms of content cleared when current: kara, gruul, naxx, most ulduar, half trial, half icc10/25 first 4 on hc10, some bot, some bwd, FL (favourite period of blood dk tanking.... i'm incredibly proud of being a rarity in clearing FL as a blood dk, taught me a lot about rotating of personal cds, most of which has admittedly been forgotten again because they 'fixed' blood mastery and changed it into the standard tanking format but with less thought required.... i miss blood shield being able to miss), DS, msv, hof, terrace, half tot, half soo, and as you lot geared me up in HFC hc and the first half of mythic i'm sure yous are fully aware of those. A lot of gaps from guild break ups, rl obligations, etc. Most of what i learned of raiding i learned from my best friend from school, he was a world-leading fury warrior during cata with Slash Cry, the biggest lesson i got from hanging out with that guild was that top end raiding is a pain the arse and doing mythic a little more casually is more in line with what i want in wow. As a hunter in tbc, kara pretty much taught all i will ever need to know to raid and much more (lets face it, no raid since the start of cata is even up to kara in terms of mechanical difficulty and variance), being a designated ccer on Moroes as a marksman hunter was great fun.

Mechanics quiz:
    Please give a brief description of how you would play in the following encounters (don't post an encounter guide)
    You only need to fill in the roll you want to play.

• Healer: - Iskar

Well there's a two potential paths to follow here:
    1) Throw the eye to a random person to make doc rage
    2) Do it right, eye as quick as possible to the people with winds (now that I have my mouseover macro and the handy handy dbm marks i probably won't bloat my interface folder with the iskar addon because it really just combines the info from dbm and semi automates the throw, i'm busy using mouseovers and grid anyway as healer.... just as efficient). Allow Kat to do the dispelling because he's wonderfully trustworthy as healer (not that its overly difficult anyway, dispel, then eye back to the tank, i'll prob have to do it a time or two though to get it properly sunk into my head because i tend to raid stoned, resulting in the odd doh! moment.... usually involving spirit link tbh, don't know why its usually spirit link, but it is). Run out with chakram and chasey fire thingy, dont stand in the fire, ignore the shouting about the big laser beam (gives way way too much warning) and watch the dbm timer itself instead to properly time a chain heal.

References: (know any renegades?)
    I wouldn't say i really know any of you, but i am acquainted with a fair few you, not writing names.... too much text already. I blame weed-fueled waffling.

Expectations:

As i have no expectations in terms of being benched or loot or anything like that, you instead get these:
    I expect to be chasing kat for a while at least.... and to celebrate any time i keep up with him even remotely, given the ilvl gap i believe that to be fair (he's been designated as my personal performance target for a while now). I expect to continue landing last-second healing surge crits on elvii, doc and saidan (my 3 most common healing surge success stories thus far in these joint raids with DR). Finally, i expect i will continue to be stoned for the majority of raids because tunnel-vision works for me.

Additional information:
    Main reason i wanted to apply was basically that i like the balance of organisation, joking and angry-doc (ie. discipline) that the joint raids have had (makes me think of more casual Slash Cry) and tbh i've been a little disappointed in the organisational side of things at DR, nice folks but there are a few things that i know would eventually get on my nerves in the way raids are handled outside of the joint runs (eg. dkp..... what an awful system, loot council systems are so much better for progress), also, quite like the idea of getting to continue to run with some of the ones from DR in the joint runs when they do happen so i wont feel like i've abandoned them.

About me, i'm a qualified game developer (primarily programming) that realised he doesn't like game development. Like my smoke. Outside of WoW i'll play LoL and pretty much any singleplayer RPG that i find, i do love a good interactive story. I'll usually find the good in a movie, bit pickier when it comes to tv (though i do watch a fair number of different series, some week by week, some i'll just catch-up every now and then). Fav genres are by far sci-fi and fantasy, especially when they overlap with horror. I'm currently a professional bum and thus have a silly amount of free time. Thoroughly enjoy a fair spectrum of manga and anime. Regardless of how this app is taken, i'll see you all on sunday.

Default Re: Malkroth - Resto Shaman

We'll probably be returning to DKP (with a little loot council because I'm mean like that) in Legion.
    Doing the robot council thing has been decent enough, but it hasn't been without issues or frustrations.

I'll differ with you greatly on "raid difficulty" with Kara as some kind of pinnacle. :P
    It was certainly not easy, buy Blizzard continues to push our raid bosses that are very challenging. it just lets the rest of the game turn to shit trying to give everyone access to everything :P
    My biggest gripe will always be the adoption of universal aoe. Ruined the game!
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

I by no means view kara as a pinnacle in any sense, i did say 'even up to kara' but to be honest now that i'm not waffling from smoking too much its probably more to do with the way the fights provided challenge for the class and role i had at the time. but this is what i get for trying to fill out a guild app having been smoking, i can play but i really shouldn't try to type, gets muddled up with semi-related nostalgia and waffle and turns into a wall of text... but yes... that kara nostalgia is me missing cc and threat management, didn't like dps without it, not the type of challenge i fell in love with for dpsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkie View Post
    Allow Kat to do the dispelling because he's wonderfully trustworthy as healer
    This did make me giggle a bit, wish I had been recording raids back when we first did Iskar

Quote Originally Posted by Takoda View Post
    This did make me giggle a bit, wish I had been recording raids back when we first did Iskar
    I never forgot your brainfart when we wiped because you couldn’t remember to what button is your dispel binded to.

Haha, yeah had forgotten that one, that encounter clearly didn't bring the best out of the healers XD