Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed!

Default Re: Help needed!

You can definitely hold out on CPU cooling until you get it up and running.
    Just check your temps after/during a regular session to make sure you're not running hot for extended periods. (I definitely fucked that up & burned out my last GFX card :<)
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

Just adding in that if you need to cut down the cost a bit, don't go cheap on the PSU. Cheap PSUs have a nasty habit of dying - and they tend to melt stuff when they do.
    "Apologies, by the way, to any genuine idiots who are offended at being associated with religion, that wasn't my intention" - Pat Condell

Quote Originally Posted by Nikodemus View Post
    Just adding in that if you need to cut down the cost a bit, don't go cheap on the PSU. Cheap PSUs have a nasty habit of dying - and they tend to melt stuff when they do.
    Or even worse, they are far more likely to blow, which has a tendency to short the many safety features and fry not only your motherboard, but everything plugged into it, hard disks too in a lot of cases. Just never skimp on a PSU, cheaper ones have this marvelous habit of dying within a month of the warranty running out.

I know i'm slow to notice this thread but if you're still considering things, I'd advise you ignore Doc's 8GB of RAM suggestion. Some of the games coming out now will eat a sizable chunk of that and browsers are incredibly hard on RAM requirements due to they way tabs function, so if you plan on doing more than just playing a game at any one time, go 16GB RAM at least so you won't have to have to increase it again in a year. Also, if you have a bit extra money, faster memory is very much worth considering.

As others have said, i5 is perfectly fine vs i7, games utilize the CPU less and less in favour of the much faster number crunching potential of the GPU. So graphics card is more important, something fast and plenty of memory on it for handling those large hi-quality textures. As much as I try to advise going for an Nvidia card, they are, relatively, more expensive than AMD cards. Overall there's usually not much difference in performance, however most big games are designed using Nvidia tech and as such, Nvidia is slightly better when it comes to the big release games (you almost got an explanation of the why there, but that's way too in depth considering how little difference there is).

I know someone mentioned above but, the solid state boot drive helps a lot. If you can afford it i'd recommend getting two, a small one that's used for OS and little else, and a larger one that's used for games and big software. It'll keep your system better if your OS has its own little corner of the PC.

Basically the best build advice is to avoid bottlenecks in performance (one notable exception is in the amount of RAM, which is very easy to upgrade at a later date as long as you keep a few slots open during the initial build). Don't over-invest in one part of the build and skimp on others, if you get a top of the line graphics card you don't need to get a top of the line motherboard and CPU, but you'll want them to be pretty damn close.

When it comes to cooling, stock coolers are fine unless you're overclocking (and in many cases are actually fine for light overclocking) but be aware that overclocking of any kind will shorten the lifespan of the parts. Water cooling requires more maintenance in general and care during the build. One small mistake in the build, one part having insufficient pressure rating or a puppy putting the tiniest kinks in the tubing to radiator can all lead to a very bad day with surprising ease. High Air-Flow (HAF) cases are awesome at dropping general system temp, but they gather dust a hell of a lot faster than a normal case.

I can say nothing about the monitors other than the fact that TV manufacturers have been peddling us lies and half-truths about advancements for a very long time, do a bit research on it before you splash out on a fancy new monitor, despite claims, it may not actually have much or any benefit over an older one.
    Last edited by Malkie; Wednesday, 27th July 2016 at 14:05.
    WoD main: Malkroth (Resto/Enhance Shaman)
    Legion main: Malkman (Blood/Unholy DK)
    Alts: Anything beginning with Malk is probably me

Thank you for your replies. I did a bit more research and reconsidered my budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mbdgJV

I'm pretty sure i'll have that rig in about a week .

If there are major no-no's in there or better choices to be made, please give me a heads-up.

if you are ever going to try to overclock your cpu, then you need the version with a K on the end.
    Currently doing the dad thing more than gaming

I won't be overclocking since the most CPU intensive game i'll play is WoW. Furthermore, i'm not very keen on spending another 100 bucks on a good cooler on top of those 20-30 more for the unlocked version. I like to do my research and i like to know as much as possible about the stuff i'm spending my hard earned money on. We have a saying here in Romania "we're too poor to be able to afford cheap things".
    Last edited by Shobi; Sunday, 31st July 2016 at 14:39.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12