Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc's personal plans for Legion.

Default Doc's personal plans for Legion.

Just watched Preach's tanking breakdown.
    Paladin has his seal of "worst tank" :P ("boring" but reliable)

I take that with a grain of salt, as I often disagree with his tastes (the man is somewhat obsessed with how great activie mitigation is but *rarely* mentions or even considers the actual tanking toolset) but I certainly want to test drive the others.
    With this in mind I'll want to level all of my tanking characters and start pushing out 5man content.
    Hopefully people will be up for spamming out Mythic 5man content on alts once we're ready for raiding.

I'll likely stick with the pally for the main raid as I don't mind the spec being simplified (my attention is usually divided anyway :P)
    I reckon I'll run through Pally > Warrior > DK > Monk > DH > Druid
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

Default Re: Doc's personal plans for Legion.

I strongly disagree with preach, mostly cause the man has no real clue about the game, but i guess the whole pala being bad is his opinion(which is obviously wrong!).

As it stands right now in the pre patch, and start of legion unless changes is made, warrior and DK are probably the best tanks when it comes to survivability, and monk and DH being the absolute worst in that department. Though if you want to do damage as a tank you prolly want to go DH or Monk, but as i said, bare in mind the survivability is lacking on those two, and druid pala are just doing their shit with being in the middle of everything <.<

And now comes my opinion cause i like to share stuff for no fucking reason and im bored as i write this!(good enough reason i guess). Im having a fucking blast with Pala and Druid tank. Since you play pala yourself, i dont see a reason to talk about them :P but druid is fucking hilarious, you have AM for days as long you have rage, which is nice, and their play style(like most of the other tanks) are simple and easy to use. Monk is kinda meh, i literally have bound Ironskin Brew to keg smash and blackout strike, cause you rarely will have to use purifying brew since it only removes 50% stagger, which is only really needed when your healers start to whine about the dmg you take cause 1.8Mil stagger. HUZZAH! ._.
    Dk still just heal and absorbs and shit, and their dmg is pretty fucking good, so definitely recommend giving them a go, and they are ok fun to play aswell. Warrior is pretty much like DK just without the self healing, but they are currently the tanks with high amounts of absorb, like proper absorbs. 1-2Mil absorbs, and as with DK can only recommend giving them a go.
    DH is the spiky tanks, they have fuck loads of self healing but take a beating, but also the tanks that currently stands to do the most dmg in legion, the play style feels abit more like that of a dps, and their Active Mitigation somewhat wonky when it comes to magic dmg.

ofc all that is without taking the artifact into consideration, since all artifacts will give tanks another form of mitigation or healing or up that alley, except monk, theirs is just a fucking joke which is yet another reason not to play them!

but as i said, thats just my two cents!
    Bump is Black

Aye, Druid looks good, but mine is still sitting at 85 I think :P

With Preach I think he's just been in his bubble for too long.
    His raid experience seems limited to top 100 guilds and his perspectivew always seems more of a DPS player than a tank to me.
    With a full raid of even semi competent/geared raiders my job becomes infinitely easier as both tank and raid leader :P
    Sadly, we're always gearing or carrying somebody. (and yes, anyone offended by me saying that, it probably applies to you. No hate, just observation ^^)

I don't think I'd raid on the DH unless something changes, but it does seem fun for casual play.
    Hopefully the pally clicks for me soon. I'm still getting dead globals and trying to press keys that have nothing bound to them anymore :P
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

GET MORE HASTE!
    Bump is Black

I find Preach's opinions pretty useful tbh. Looking at things from the perspective of a top player gives insight into the benefits to the raid. Its true he rated pala bottom but he did state that was because of his personal taste when it comes to play style, and that is what his comparison videos mostly look at, to hear his opinions on the other stuff you need to hoke much more through his content.

Pala right now are the kings of raid utility, that's their big strength, and with all the cds that gives them a huge advantage (i'll compare it to the Firelands dk, where the active mitigation was utterly unreliable, the base mitigation terrible, but the massive number of cds made them utterly batshit broken if used well, mind you, my dk had 14 cds with a defensive component at that point, inc engineering stuff though which resulted in some hilarious fuckups =p). Druids and warriors absorb more punishment than any other tanks but damage is lacking and you are completely reliant on the healers for keeping you up, druid self-heal is there, but a bit shit. Monk is potentially the best at smoothing incoming damage, but you need to be timing things perfectly for that and is probably more work than its worth. Demon hunters are currently the weakest (mostly because they have taken over the DK's old problem of relying too much on self healing), which means they'll prob get a little buff soon, but if you look at their scaling, that will make them insane in later raid tiers and most likely they will be nerfed very badly at that point, also, if used well they have 0 problems atm, just that there will be a LOT of DHs that will give the class a bad name as tanks (the uncertainty of buffs/nerfs and the bad rep they'll have is why I've decided against DH in the end). DK, has become my solid choice. It offers very little raid utility, but the potential for survival is nuts, they have more command over their own survival than any other tank, including the more self-heal-reliant DH, considering my relatively undergeared DK was able to solo one of the level 110 sea giants at level 102, they're a bit mad (that was a few buffs/nerfs ago though) and i know that one of the legendaries they can get has the potential to be really, really silly, quite looking forward to having a ~50% uptime of vampiric blood.

As for what i found to be most fun, DK and DH were on even grounds there, with the druid coming in 3rd. Never tried pala, warrior and monk myself in the beta so can't comment too much on them, not that saying which play styles i preferred really says much anyway.

One thing though, ANY decisions you're making based on performance in the pre-patch are mostly irrelevant, artifact weapons have a large impact on how each spec plays, your survival and damage will change considerably as you get to 110 and increase the number of artifact traits and in some specs the artifact weapon changes the play style somewhat. Not only this but the artifact weapons can affect stat priority! Though on that note, haste seems to be pretty damn important simply to smooth out the play style of various specs, at least imo, but then i despise sitting idle, i need to be hitting buttons constantly.

I would say which classes i would prefer tanking beside but, other than giving my 2 cents on strengths/weaknesses, i don't want to influence anyone else's decisions. Simply for how active and interesting the DH specs are though at level 110, they are definitely worth picking as alts (they play so much worse at lvl 100, don't judge them on that) for anyone interested in going for a melee/tank alt, just be prepared to see healers abandon groups if you're tanking on a DH, as i said, they have a bad rep on beta and it will get worse.
    WoD main: Malkroth (Resto/Enhance Shaman)
    Legion main: Malkman (Blood/Unholy DK)
    Alts: Anything beginning with Malk is probably me

No offense intended, but I take *everyone's* opinion on tanking with a grain of salt.
    Preach himself has many retarded opinions on tanking, whether or not he's an elite player. (often, the difference between elite raiders and everyone else is how much of an arsehole they have been willing to be and how much time they will commit, and those elite raiders become *cripplingly* reliant on having a good team :P)
    I stick with the pally because I've enjoyed it for a long time.
    Atm, it feels a bit... spare. I've probably just gone through WAY too many iterations... they rebuild prot pally all the bloody time.
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

.... How dare you! I've never been so offended! Making up you're own mind is horrendous behaviour! Soulless even.
    "i dont wan't to influence anyone else's decisions" should probably be seen as me attempting to nicely paraphrase "I don't think anyone cares"...... have you ever tried not adding unnecessary fluff to written responses on Caramella Cream? Makes you wild chatty.

Tanking with a stoner partner is gonna be fun ^^
    <3
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

A former guild mate of mine described it as waiting for the horrible twist in an otherwise painfully predictable movie. He stopped worrying about the tank swaps and the adds getting picked up and instead waited for the unknowable moment when a joint was dropped, or smoke got in my eyes and my dk just stood idle and got beaten to death without any decent mitigation going, usually accompanied by some swearing on my part. Brings a whole different type of suspense to tanking.

and yet still not near the worst off-tank he's had to go with ;p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast