PDA

View Full Version : Patch 1.0.47.0 today from 9 GMT to 11.30 GMT

Tapja
Monday, 21st January 2008, 09:08
This patch fixes several major graphics bugs that could result in crashes, slowdowns, poor performance, and visual glitches. Players running Vista, or XP with large amounts of CPU RAM, or anyone running very recent video cards and the latest drivers could be affected by these assorted issues. Read on for details!

* Players running Vista could experience corrupted visuals and low framerate after playing the game for a while. Checking your task manager would show that PotBS.exe was using gigantic amounts of memory. This was because of differences in how Vista and XP report available memory. We weren't properly detecting how much memory your Vista machine had, and so the longer you played the more we kept asking for. We now properly recognize memory under Vista and flush unused data appropriately to stay within available memory.
* We had similar problems with machines under XP that had more than 2GB of CPU RAM. We now detect those large amounts of RAM properly.
* Antialiasing is temporarily capped at 4x. Some newer video cards (such as NVIDIA 8800 and 8600) using 8x antialiasing and the latest driver updates introduced visual artifacts such as flashing areas of ocean. Until new driver updates solve the problem, we are capping antialiasing at 4x to avoid the glitch. This should fix the glitch for XP users, but not for Vista users.
* Fixed some major memory leaks. Over time, entire ship models & textures could be left hanging in video memory, as could the in-world firing arcs, wind indicator ring, and bowspray particle effects. Now these elements are flushed from your video card when appropriate. On Vista machines, these leaks compounded the memory-detection problem described above.
* Made some more fixes to the Privateer coat reward for the level 45 career mission.
* It was possible for you to create an avatar that was not valid for play due to a color palette mismatch, which would keep you stuck on the character creation screen. Fixed this.
* The latest localized text files are included, fixing many bugs in French, German, and Spanish translations of game text.

Ludicrouse
Monday, 21st January 2008, 09:47
WTB fix for "Graphic Overload" bug!

Tapja
Monday, 21st January 2008, 10:20
WTB fix for "Graphic Overload" bug!

From what I understand, this patch should alleviate this problem since it was most likely due to memory leaking.

Ludicrouse
Monday, 21st January 2008, 12:20
It is, yet they claimed to have fixed it last patch but it still happened. Its the only thing that is pissing me off about the game.

I have a ruddy X1950Pro which is one of the best DX9 only video cards around and i have to run in "Retard" mode just to play for more than 10 minutes...

Ludicrouse
Monday, 21st January 2008, 13:23
Fantastic... its fixed!

Bagpuss
Monday, 21st January 2008, 16:58
It is, yet they claimed to have fixed it last patch but it still happened. Its the only thing that is pissing me off about the game.

I have a ruddy X1950Pro which is one of the best DX9 only video cards around and i have to run in "Retard" mode just to play for more than 10 minutes...

Are you sure ... the problem may be folicle related, rather than your GPU, the game is quite complicated after all :P

Ludicrouse
Monday, 21st January 2008, 17:09
Cheeky wanker!