PDA

View Full Version : Champions Online Release Date Confirmed

Ludicrouse
Monday, 27th April 2009, 11:47
On July 14, European and North American gamers will be able to pick up their copy of Champions Online and dive into a massive world of super powered heroes, villainous Nemeses, ancient gods, underwater civilizations, alien invasions, and much, much more!

From Cryptic Studios, the creators of the acclaimed City of Heroes and City of Villains, comes one of the most exciting new MMOs of 2009... Champions Online! Powered by the groundbreaking Cryptic Engine and based on the award winning Champions setting from the HERO System of pen & paper role playing games, Champions Online taps into a rich and established universe of heroes, villains, and intrigue.

Source (http://champions-online.com/node/32664)

As shown above, release date is July 14th. I have some vague interest in this. I enjoyed City of Heroes/Villains and thought it was a breath of fresh air to a genre chock full of Elves and Orcs. I have a healthy amount of respect for Cryptic, historically they know how the MMO genre works and not to expect to be punching well above their weight unlike most Developers/Publishers.

I shall give this a butchers if i get into Beta or they provide a trial at release.

Here is a video for the Nemesis System (http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/championsonline/video/6208415/champions-online-nemesis-trailer?hd=1&tag=topslot;watchlink;1) that allows you to create a custom Archvillain that you will face during your gameplay. You can make him look however you like, customize his abilities, the lot! I really like the look of it tbqh.

Tapja
Monday, 27th April 2009, 11:55
CoH/CoV best part was the character creation. I may be tempted to take a look at this though. Hopefully can get into beta :)

Ludicrouse
Monday, 27th April 2009, 12:02
There is a Guild Application option. Upto 50 places per Guild. Depending on demand we could chuck one in :)

Daymare
Monday, 27th April 2009, 12:18
Please do, i'd like to give this a whirl.

Ludicrouse
Monday, 27th April 2009, 12:29
I need Email addys! (Ill send in the Application this time tomorrow)

MiMaRz
Monday, 27th April 2009, 12:30

mimarz at gmail.com

OniKiy
Monday, 27th April 2009, 12:41
Looks very cool, I did enjoy messing around in CoH and CoV. Shame I got bored after a while as it got too repetitive for my tastes to play solo at least.

Flufball
Monday, 27th April 2009, 13:36
Looks very cool, I did enjoy messing around in CoH and CoV. Shame I got bored after a while as it got too repetitive for my tastes to play solo at least.

That was always my Downfall on the game as well. I didn't want to try and hunt down a new group to play with so I was on my own and stacking up a huge amount of debt.

The PvP stuff they added when CoV came out was nice. Oh and I miss 5th column, their replacement, The Council, are far too boring. It's one of the few games where I'm not fed up of the WW2 vibe.

Ludicrouse
Monday, 27th April 2009, 14:00
That was always my Downfall on the game as well. I didn't want to try and hunt down a new group to play with so I was on my own and stacking up a huge amount of debt.

The PvP stuff they added when CoV came out was nice. Oh and I miss 5th column, their replacement, The Council, are far too boring. It's one of the few games where I'm not fed up of the WW2 vibe.

They brought the 5th Column back in one of the updates.

As for Soloing, me and Sean figured out a way of completely negating all content as a Solo player, except Task Forces, so much so that we only ever needed to make a group when we were a bit bored and wanted more Mobs in the mission.

Damn we were overpowered.

ArchOni
Monday, 27th April 2009, 14:29

narune75 at hotmail.com

Daymare
Monday, 27th April 2009, 15:13
mariusbrendmoe at hotmail

adee
Monday, 27th April 2009, 16:48
adrianwhitee at btopenworld.com

Hovis
Monday, 27th April 2009, 17:12
I have reasonably high expectations for this, because although CoH/CoV were not very good it's clear that they were ripe to be enhanced via the medium of the sequel. I don't think any aspects of CoH really worked brilliantly, but so many aspects did get very, very close to it. The character creation is the best example, it was really good but it wasn't I believe as good as EQ2 which actually gave detailed face sculpting options for the first time in an MMO, and it was also marred by all manner of clipping issues on the costumes. But that system, while somewhat disappointing, was only a small step off being brilliant. No clipping on the costumes, or at least less, the ability to fine tune facial features, moar options, classes, powers etc, then it'll be spot on.

Given everything that CoH/CoV was, made better, it could be a really great game. I think that there was a lot of really good stuff going on in CoH, but it just was never quite good enough. If they can make the combat more entertaining, character skills more varied and expand still further on the character creation, I could hit that game. On a conceptual level, as an MMO, it's really solid too. Kind of reminds me of The Tick in a lot of ways, with loads of slightly crappy superheroes charging around. A hell of a lot of settings just eat shit and fail for MMOs, but comic books? Almost every part of an MMO makes sense in that context, from nobody ever really getting killed, to levels, to being the superhero but not actually the only superhero, to saving the world every week and so on.

So yeah, if it's more of the same enhanced to 2009 standards then consider me warming to the idea.

I don't want to be in ze beta though. Games tend to be unfinished enough when they launch these days without finding them when they are even less ready. :D

Fizzle
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:03
joe.darcy945 at googlemail.com

I wouldnt mind a look at this tbh

Volw
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:09
CoH/V had a lot of things done great.

- Sidekick system - in short, allows to team up with pretty much anyone, regardless of toons level. It's an awesome feature, yet barely any mmo has it implemented.

- Skills (powers) are fixed multiplayers of classes default (brawl) attack and increase in power at each lvl. So a lvl1 skill will always deal Brawl Damage * fixed multiplayer and often be usefull at any lvl.

- Buffs/debuffs/CC - I loved it, one of a few games, that requires a bit more than just a tank, heal0r and dps.

Hovis, you mix generes - eq2 is fantasy and coh is not. They won't put extremely detailed (or rather what you seem to prefer - pretty) faces in there to keep the comic book feel of gfx. Plus, the sheer amount of costume customization options trumps any fancy thing you can do to toons face in eq2.

You want more powers and classes? You are joking, right? There's a bazillion of options when picking a powerset.

Oh, and they've added mission creator in the last update.

As for Champtions, I dont know - it has Roper in it. That's a bad omen.

Ludicrouse
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:15
it has Roper in it. That's a bad omen.

Im fairly sure that isnt how Blizzard feel :p

Khammar
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:19
Yeah Roper is shit. All these games sucked:

* Warcraft: Orcs & Humans (1994) - Producer, Voiceover, Documentation
* Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (1995) - Design, Narration, Voiceover, Documentation
* Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal (1996) - Executive Producer, Story Consultant, Narration, Voiceover
* Diablo (1996) - Producer, Voice Production, Casting & Directing, Story, Voiceover, Documentation, Strike Team
* StarCraft (1998) - Producer, Voiceover, Documentation, Strike Team
* StarCraft: Brood War (1998) - Executive Producer, Voiceover, Documentation
* Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition (1999) - Producer
* Diablo II (2000) - Senior Producer, Voice Casting, Voiceover, Strike Team
* Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (2001) - Global Launch Team, Strike Team
* Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002) - Voiceover, Strike Team
* Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (2003) - Voiceover

Volw
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:21
Hellgate London :p

Khammar
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:25
I'd say the other 11 titles I listed make up for one bad game.

If you don't think so I hope someone chops off your hand the next time you use the wrong coversheet while faxing in your TPS reports.

Volw
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:32
So the last game where he did something meaningful (unless voiceovers are :p) was released 9 years ago. HGL, where he didn't have senior Blizz management standing above him, turned out to be one of the biggest failures in gaming history (not exagartaring here).

You have a lot of faith in him.

Flufball
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:35
They brought the 5th Column back in one of the updates.

As for Soloing, me and Sean figured out a way of completely negating all content as a Solo player, except Task Forces, so much so that we only ever needed to make a group when we were a bit bored and wanted more Mobs in the mission.

Damn we were overpowered.

See, I was a squishy blaster all on my own and could never figure out a way of surviving, although that said I did like the original rage-thingy system where the more I got hit, the easier it was to kill people.

Oh and flufball [at] blueyonder [dot] co [dot] uk please. :p

Khammar
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:46
So the last game where he did something meaningful (unless voiceovers are :p) was released 9 years ago. HGL, where he didn't have senior Blizz management standing above him, turned out to be one of the biggest failures in gaming history (not exagartaring here).

You have a lot of faith in him.

So your contention is that because someone has failed more recently than they have succeeded they are to be written off?

Aside from that, how much damage could he have done in the 6 months he's been with the company?

Hovis
Monday, 27th April 2009, 18:54
CoH/V had a lot of things done great.

- Sidekick system - in short, allows to team up with pretty much anyone, regardless of toons level. It's an awesome feature, yet barely any mmo has it implemented.

- Skills (powers) are fixed multiplayers of classes default (brawl) attack and increase in power at each lvl. So a lvl1 skill will always deal Brawl Damage * fixed multiplayer and often be usefull at any lvl.

- Buffs/debuffs/CC - I loved it, one of a few games, that requires a bit more than just a tank, heal0r and dps.

Hovis, you mix generes - eq2 is fantasy and coh is not. They won't put extremely detailed (or rather what you seem to prefer - pretty) faces in there to keep the comic book feel of gfx. Plus, the sheer amount of costume customization options trumps any fancy thing you can do to toons face in eq2.

You want more powers and classes? You are joking, right? There's a bazillion of options when picking a powerset.

Oh, and they've added mission creator in the last update.

I dunno about the costume malarkey being that great, because it existed as a replacement for any sort of inventory or equipment system. With that in mind it felt a little under done. I mean if your character creation is going to supersede all those systems then it needs to be huge, huger even than it was in CoH. I think though there's potential that this will be the case with the new game though. Hopefully they will have learned.

As for faces not being important to comic book characters I call massive shenanigans upon that. The face is vital. But that's no harm no foul, cos that should be something they improve on. I maintain though that the EQ2 faces, which don't forget also had facial expressions, are a world beyond what can be done with a simple texture mapped onto a head shaped egg. It's about immersion, about making the action look, to use the technical term, Totally Fucking Awesome. It's a little detail, but it's the details that sell the whole scene.

Regarding the system, I dunno as I haven't played in years, but it didn't feel too expansive to me. Though I guess they must have added a lot since then.

I don't want to be too mean about CoH, it was bold and it was entertaining in the short to medium term and it was better than many. Remains to be seen how the new one plays, and looks (oh yes, I am that shallow. For me a comic book game needs to be a feast for the senses). That said some of the videos I've seen looked good in some ways, fishy in others, but mostly good. :D

Volw
Monday, 27th April 2009, 19:01
So your contention is that because someone has failed more recently than they have succeeded they are to be written off?

Aside from that, how much damage could he have done in the 6 months he's been with the company?

Not written off, but taken with more care. Probably, not going emo ;) over the fact that he worked for Blizz and forgetting his latest 'achievement'. Even Britney burned out, why should Roper not? :D

It's usually the last months of development that make or break the game. When it's decided which features will or will not make it for the release.

Ludicrouse
Monday, 27th April 2009, 19:31
Not written off, but taken with more care. Probably, not going emo ;) over the fact that he worked for Blizz and forgetting his latest 'achievement'. Even Britney burned out, why should Roper not? :D

It's usually the last months of development that make or break the game. When it's decided which features will or will not make it for the release.

Stop me if i am wrong but is "Producer" not a fairly important role in games. Especially when that is sitting over two of the most critically acclaimed, influential and loved games of all time. Diablo 2 and Starcraft.

Well a glimmer of hope is that the game is, at its core, the Marvel Universe MMO that got cancelled and that was a good few years into development before Marvel pulled the plug. The game has been in Beta for quite a while also, November 2008 iirc.

We will just have to wait and see what we get in a couple of months :)

Ludicrouse
Monday, 27th April 2009, 19:37
See, I was a squishy blaster all on my own and could never figure out a way of surviving, although that said I did like the original rage-thingy system where the more I got hit, the easier it was to kill people.

Oh and flufball [at] blueyonder [dot] co [dot] uk please. :p

You mean the "Defiance" system. Iirc they changed that about a year or two ago. It was kinda retarded if you didnt have some healer to help you manage it.

There is nothing like having 6 fully Armed and Armoured Battle Robots, equipped with SRMs, Dual Particle Cannons, Flamethrowers, Pulse Lasers, Stun Grenades and a Dark Miasma Servant running around the mission pwning the hell out of anything that moved...

...and wearing Spandex.

Volw
Monday, 27th April 2009, 19:45
Stop me if i am wrong but is "Producer" not a fairly important role in games. Especially when that is sitting over two of the most critically acclaimed, influential and loved games of all time. Diablo 2 and Starcraft.

I think you want to re-read what I wrote.

Ludicrouse
Monday, 27th April 2009, 19:53
I think you want to re-read what I wrote.

No, i think you do. He is not even an important figure in Cryptic. He appears when the game is in Beta, he could not possibly have as much effect as you give him credit.

I think poking holes in a game because they have someone who was part of a development team that made a shit game is just plain fucking retarded. There must of been a large number of developers on HGL, if it was all Roper's fault then why didnt one of his staff take a minute out and go "Hold on Bill, this is shit!".

I will tell you why they didnt, it was because they all fucked up. Guess what though, that happens alot. Then the Developers move and make something else, which quite often is not shit. That is the industry.

Ludicrouse
Monday, 27th April 2009, 20:17
Looking through the offical websites Rate My Champion (http://champions-online.com/rate_my_champion/33226) section, it allows you to rate toons made by players, and it appears someone has made a fantasic rendition of Deadpool from Marvel Comics.

Edit: They removed him :(

Volw
Monday, 27th April 2009, 21:20
No, i think you do. He is not even an important figure in Cryptic. He appears when the game is in Beta, he could not possibly have as much effect as you give him credit.

I think poking holes in a game because they have someone who was part of a development team that made a shit game is just plain fucking retarded. There must of been a large number of developers on HGL, if it was all Roper's fault then why didnt one of his staff take a minute out and go "Hold on Bill, this is shit!".

I will tell you why they didnt, it was because they all fucked up. Guess what though, that happens alot. Then the Developers move and make something else, which quite often is not shit. That is the industry.

No, you do.

Well, if you can't do that yourself. Spoon-feed time.

Stop me if i am wrong but is "Producer" not a fairly important role in games.

That's regarding to which of my posts?

Is that poking holes? :eek: That's the only sentence about Champions I made, after which, the thread got completely de-railed :p

Being CEO of FS, is - I think - slightly more than being just a 'part of developing team'. More like the decisive part of one of the largest failures in the recent years. (Kind of reminds me of Romero and Daikatana :p)

So suddenly, being a Producer/Director in Blizz makes him THE War/Starcraft/Diablo maker, yet being a Design Director in Cryptic, makes him almost a blue-collar class worker, according to you.

Make up your mind?

Khammar
Monday, 27th April 2009, 22:36
Technically he could have less to do with the game as CEO than as Design Director or Producer. No idea what the title meant in that company, and I didn't play Hellgate so claiming it was the Titanic is all well and good, but not convincing me.

I mean there's a difference between someone who got lucky on one game and then bombed on another (McQuaid anyone?) and was CEO and someone who worked on twelve good titles before making one dog . . .

Ludicrouse
Tuesday, 28th April 2009, 11:08
On a slightly related note, CoH/CoV have activated all accounts for their 5th Birthday.

Today marks the five-year anniversary of City of Heroes®. To celebrate the anniversary and the recently released Issue 14: Architect, we're kicking off a free Reactivation Weekend!

Between today and Sunday, May 3rd at 8:59 PM Pacific (11:59 PM Eastern), all inactive accounts in good standing have access to City of Heroes and City of Villains

Ludicrouse
Tuesday, 28th April 2009, 12:33
You have 20 minutes left if you want in.

Ludicrouse
Tuesday, 28th April 2009, 12:57
Ok, times up and it has gone in.

Tapja
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 10:54
Massively on Travel powers:

http://www.massively.com/2009/05/04/massively-hands-on-the-first-five-levels-of-champions-online-pa/#continued

Khammar
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 11:00
Ok, teleportation does sound wicked.

Volw
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 11:08
Sounds cool. TP was horrid to use in coh/v, seems to work much better in CO.

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 12:07
To be honest, i really like the sound of Fly. Being able to control how fast you go and create a Sonic Boom with it! Pwnage.

Power Armour with its Shoulder Weaponry, SRM's, Wrist Lasers and Chest LASCannon coupled with the Jet Boots fly. Thats what im going to go for!

Daymare
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 12:33
to be honest, I am really looking forward to this game now. I was very sceptical when I first heard they were making another Superhero MMO, but it appears to be something genuine. I loved CoH and will be testing this for sure.

Khammar
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 12:34
To be honest, i really like the sound of Fly. Being able to control how fast you go and create a Sonic Boom with it! Pwnage.

Power Armour with its Shoulder Weaponry, SRM's, Wrist Lasers and Chest LASCannon coupled with the Jet Boots fly. Thats what im going to go for!

So, Iron Man.

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 12:42
So, Iron Man.

Yeah, for both the fact that he is my favorite Comic Book character and the fact that Armoured Suits with lots of weapons just look so fucking cool.

I shall also be ressurecting my Blaster from CoH who was a cross between Rogue, Ms. Marvel and Wonderwoman. So half-naked, tight Spandex and Super Strength/Energy Blasts and the ability to fly. :)

Hovis
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 12:56
If the character creation is as interesting as the first game I'll probably wind up making assorted characters. Some sort of Gort style robot badass is a must have character, then probably some sort of hairy weirdo based on the sidekick from Spaceballs, then we'll see what else I can be bothered to make.

Khammar
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 12:58
How about a nerdy gimp who can sap your energy named Captain Whole Wheat . . . your battlecry can be: "GRINDING SUCKS!" ;)

Khammar
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 12:59
Yeah, for both the fact that he is my favorite Comic Book character and the fact that Armoured Suits with lots of weapons just look so fucking cool.

I shall also be ressurecting my Blaster from CoH who was a cross between Rogue, Ms. Marvel and Wonderwoman. So half-naked, tight Spandex and Super Strength/Energy Blasts and the ability to fly. :)

Nothing wrong with Iron Man. At least his movie wasn't at all crap.

If you wanted to be like Electra I'd worry. :shinner:

Tapja
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 13:02
Nothing wrong with Iron Man. At least his movie wasn't at all crap.

If you wanted to be like Electra I'd worry. :shinner:

Nothing wrong with Electra (in the comics)!

That said, Deadpool has been a long time favorite of mine :p

Ironman
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 13:03

Awww I have a fan. :D

Edit: Not sure I want to brag with having Ludi as a fan but still. :D

Khammar
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 13:06
Awww I have a fan. :D

Edit: Not sure I want to brag with having Ludi as a fan but still. :D

Yes, I'd think veeeeery carefully indeed.

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 14:14
That said, Deadpool has been a long time favorite of mine :p

The Merc with a Mouth!

Always breaking down the fourth wall, brick by brick.

Tapja
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 16:09
The Merc with a Mouth!

Always breaking down the fourth wall, brick by brick.

And is responsible for some classic comicbook moments, like these...

adee
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 16:59
colossus was always 1 of my favs, he knows how to kick arse.

Flufball
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 17:05
I'll stick to the non-marvel Batman, although a man who dresses up as a bat and cavorts around rooftops and a cave with small children at night could be considered rather suspect. :p

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 17:47
And is responsible for some classic comicbook moments, like these...

He is indeed epic. I love the amount of times he takes the piss out of Spiderman. Genius writing.

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 17:52
Ive been mucking around with Photoshop and a drawing of Ironman i did to get an idea of what colour scheme to do my toon in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/ludicrouse/Loodinator.png

Khammar
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 17:56
You will name yourself "The Ochre Poo" . . . ?

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 18:00
Actually thats perfect. I was going to call the toon L.O.O.D.

Large Ordnance Ochre Dump. Perfect.

Volw
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 18:50
More like Ginger-Man ;)

Hovis
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 18:53
More like Ginger-Man ;)

Hey Ludi, want to go halves on an account and create the Ginger Bread Man?

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 19:21
Hey Ludi, want to go halves on an account and create the Ginger Bread Man?

*Shiver*

Khammar
Wednesday, 6th May 2009, 19:43
The worst part is that I almost posted that joke.

Urien
Thursday, 7th May 2009, 20:40
Add me Ludi, pike62@btinternet.com

Uri

OniKiy
Thursday, 7th May 2009, 21:18
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/Jin_D3vil/defender.jpg

Desription:
Noble and true, you are the hero other heroes aspire to be. You are a natural leader, selfless and kind, who will put the lives of others above your own, and are steadfast in your pursuit of justice.

Take the quiz! which Hero are you?? (http://champions-online.com/which_champion_are_you)

Ha~HA!! You small insignificant beings. As you can read I am the greatest hero of them all!! You should all cower before me as I survey my city, swarming with those small pitiful creatures that I do not destory because they are well beneath my greatness. I shall lead those among you who recognise my awesome-ness, as it has been told this day. I shall only kill off the weak, those with a similar costume, or name as myself. That or by throwing you in harms way, in a desprate bid to save myself from harm as I shall not be defeated no matter the cost to those around me!!

I love how accurate these things are!! :P

Oh and I also dub Fluff my sidekick Biker Boy!!

Ludicrouse
Thursday, 7th May 2009, 21:53
Add me Ludi

Unless your looking for free Cyb0r then you a fair few days late :o

Volw
Thursday, 7th May 2009, 22:59
Don't worry, ginger didn't add me too. And I was on time :p :shinner:

Ludicrouse
Saturday, 16th May 2009, 18:23
Release Date has been changed. (http://champions-online.com/node/47780) Game will now release on the 1st of September.

Daymare
Saturday, 16th May 2009, 20:40
Nice! Means Im done with Dare before they ship it!

Ludicrouse
Friday, 26th June 2009, 20:40
Open Beta date is almost finalised. (http://championsonlinedailynews.com/champions-online-open-beta-some-clues/#continue) Mid August!

Ludicrouse
Tuesday, 7th July 2009, 20:03
System Spec's have been released.

Minimum System Requirements

* CPU:2.5GHz Single Core or 1.8GHz Dual Core
* Memory:1GB RAM
* Video:NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon X700 or HD / Intel Graphics with Dual Core
* Sound: DirectX Compatible Soundcard
* HDD:5GB Free Disk Space
* Network:ADSL / Cable Modem
* Disc: DVD-ROM
* Driver: DirectX 9.0c

Recommended System Configuration

* CPU:2GHz Dual Core or Better
* Memory:2GB RAM or Better
* Video:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or Better / ATI Radeon HD3850 or Better
* Sound: DirectX Compatible Soundcard
* HDD:5GB Free Disk Space
* Network:ADSL / Cable Modem or Better
* Disc: DVD-ROM
* Driver: DirectX 9.0c

Source (http://www.champions-online.com/node/88150)

WiGgLr
Tuesday, 7th July 2009, 23:45
Only 5GB? that sounds really small in MMO terms

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 00:19
It is in terms of recent releases such as Vanguard, Age of Conan and WAR. They are most likely using alot of compression for the files, like they did with CoX which was only a 2Gb install for both games.

Hovis
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 00:44
Incidentally where did all that space even go in those MMOs?

It's fair to say that Conan/War generation failed. Let's see what we've got here.

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 01:20
Incidentally where did all that space even go in those MMOs?

For the first two, uncompressed Art assests. For WAR, im not entirely sure tbqh, possibly the same.

It's fair to say that Conan/War generation failed. Let's see what we've got here.

For once, nobody can argue with the Bread. Cryptic know their stuff and they certainly know their limits with an MMO. I just hope it is a fun game that will keep me entertained for a couple of months. CO is not going to be a "WoW-Killer" as any sane person would expect, Cryptic know that.

Cryptic however do have an ace up their sleeve in Star Trek Online. T'Net is full of Trekkies and holding up an MMO, which allows them to Captain a ship and run around firing Phasers on a planet, is just going to make them Cream in their cosplay Klingon uniforms while they sit there polishing their Disruptor Rifles in anticipation. Bioware have it easy too, you just need to replace the Klingon uniform with a set of Jedi Robes and the Disruptor with a Lightsaber!

WiGgLr
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 07:43
It is in terms of recent releases such as Vanguard, Age of Conan and WAR. They are most likely using alot of compression for the files, like they did with CoX which was only a 2Gb install for both games.

vanguard has a 20Gb footprint, AoC is 40Gb and WAR is 11Gb

also, i wouldn't be banking on the huge success of a franchise based mmo. WoW managed it, but matrix, conan, SWG, and to some extent WAR have all proved that the popularity of an IP isn't enough

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 11:22
vanguard has a 20Gb footprint, AoC is 40Gb and WAR is 11Gb

also, i wouldn't be banking on the huge success of a franchise based mmo. WoW managed it, but matrix, conan, SWG, and to some extent WAR have all proved that the popularity of an IP isn't enough

Conan, SWG and WAR all had a large amount of subscribers initially. Their problem was keeping them. Matrix was obviously a stinker before it was released, the fact that the company who made it had to be bought out by SOE was the real nail in the coffin. Conan's failings have been well documented and there is no real need to go through them again. WAR is also a bit of a failboat at the moment, their Development has been in the wrong direction and hopefully the departure of MBJ will atleast help.

SWG was a very good, if very buggy, game at Release. It was the first truly Sandbox gameplay since UO. You could do everything from PvP to being Mayor of your own City, i loved the latter - i was Mayor and Sheriff lol.

SWG was running at 350,000 subscribers a year after release, which back then would be the equivelant of having 7-8million subs. Everquest was the only Western MMO that was any bigger and that only had 450,000.

Sadly, SOE and Lucasarts did not always see eye to eye. This caused a big evaluation of the game by SOE, as Lucasarts threatened to pull it from them, and resulted in the awful decision to create the NGE (New Game Experience) which basically killed the game. All the hard work players had done for the previous 2-3years was wiped out completely, everyone could be a Jedi and the game lost several classes. Over the course of just a couple of days, no exaggeration, the game went from 350,000 subs to just under 150,000. Up until that point, SWG was one of the most popular MMO's ever released.

Smedley even acknowledged how badly they fucked up and stated that it was the worst decision and mistake SOE had ever done.

SWOTR and STO are going to make big splashes, mark my words. There is a fucking ton of fans for both franchises and they are hungry for some MMO action.

Hovis
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 15:50
The problem with the big IP is you want to make a game out of it you need to be true to it.

WoW did it spectacularly well, because the groundwork was all there, it was ready to be made into an MMO. Worth bearing in mind though that Warcraft was not a big IP when it launched. It was big with gamers, sure, but if we're talking about an industry with Star Wars etc in play it was nothing. WoW has been the success it has because people who a few years ago had never heard of Warcraft now play it.

Conan fucked it all the way up, irredeemably, because they had to have spellcasters. Conan is a low magic setting, they made it high fantasy, and killed it for the fans. Making magic powerful and accessible to Conan characters is like making Jedis freely playable in SWG from the start.

WAR fucked it up by going for only two factions, that wasn't a failure of the setting per se, but it's excruciatingly poor game design for an RvR PvP game, because let's face it, if the game is properly balanced the larger side is going to win. RvR balances naturally with three or more sides, with two it rapidly becomes a seesaw with a fat kid on it.

It's kind of weird to see the marketplace as it is though, the WoW clones have been and gone, now we have, dare I say it, actual games on the horizon.

Volw
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 16:13
Are you saying that if Conan was renamed to Wankan, it would have been a hit? I strongly disagree.

Thing with MMOs is, they have to be good. They are not a 10-20 hours SP game or a 2 hrs movie. They must have the quality, to keep people entertained for weeks of playtime.

Conan failed after people got to lvl50+ cause there was nothing there.

War failed once people got tired of lag and bugs.

It's that simple. End of the day it's the gameplay that counts, not being 100% true to the IP.

Tapja
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 16:33
Conan fucked it all the way up, irredeemably, because they had to have spellcasters. Conan is a low magic setting, they made it high fantasy, and killed it for the fans. Making magic powerful and accessible to Conan characters is like making Jedis freely playable in SWG from the start.

Not really. AoC major downfall, imho, was no real content beyond level 20 (and that which was there not working properly). Magic or not, a game wont survive without content.

WAR fucked it up by going for only two factions, that wasn't a failure of the setting per se, but it's excruciatingly poor game design for an RvR PvP game, because let's face it, if the game is properly balanced the larger side is going to win. RvR balances naturally with three or more sides, with two it rapidly becomes a seesaw with a fat kid on it.

While it is a major flaw, it's hardly the most damning one. In WARs case, probably the worst offender was performance. Had it been running smoothly from the start it would have kept a whole lot more subscribers.

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 16:36
It's that simple. End of the day it's the gameplay that counts, not being 100% true to the IP.

Yes and no. Lets take SWG's NGE as an example. It allowed everyone to play as a Jedi, that increases gameplay but breaks the IP connection. The most common complaint about that update was the fact that there were just too many Jedi running around. As a result, people stopped playing and it lost 200,000+ Subscribers within a few days.

IP is not the be all and end all of a MMO's success, but it is the first rung on the ladder to it.

If you announce that your making an MMO based upon X franchise you are going to immediatley turn peoples heads. This is especially true for Star Trek and Star Wars as both have a massive amount of fans who will lap up anything to do with the franchises.

Volw
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 16:46
Yes and no. Lets take SWG's NGE as an example. It allowed everyone to play as a Jedi, that increases gameplay but breaks the IP connection. The most common complaint about that update was the fact that there were just too many Jedi running around. As a result, people stopped playing and it lost 200,000+ Subscribers within a few days.

IP is not the be all and end all of a MMO's success, but it is the first rung on the ladder to it.

If you announce that your making an MMO based upon X franchise you are going to immediatley turn peoples heads. This is especially true for Star Trek and Star Wars as both have a massive amount of fans who will lap up anything to do with the franchises.

To a point, I'd say the fact the hurt people the most was that they had to work to become a jedi for months (if not years) and then a new guy logs in and has it from the beginning. And there was a lot more changes that basically destroyed the game people been playing for years. Ii would've destroyed any game.

In fact, look at planetside and the drop in subs after BFRs were introduced.

Hovis
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 16:58
To a point, I'd say the fact the hurt people the most was that they had to work to become a jedi for months (if not years) and then a new guy logs in and has it from the beginning. And there was a lot more changes that basically destroyed the game people been playing for years. Ii would've destroyed any game.

In fact, look at planetside and the drop in subs after BFRs were introduced.

BFRs were gay though.

Volw
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 16:59
BFRs were gay though.

So was giving jedis to the pleb.

Hovis
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 17:03
So was giving jedis to the pleb.

Yeah but that was my point. If you are going to make something special, i.e. more powerful than anything else, don't give it to every cunt what logs on. Jedis, Biffers, mages in Conan, whutevah.

Volw
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 17:14
Yeah but that was my point. If you are going to make something special, i.e. more powerful than anything else, don't give it to every cunt what logs on. Jedis, Biffers, mages in Conan, whutevah.

All mages bar one ware sub par to any melee class in conan. It's a balance issue. Besides the most powerful ranged class was a ranger, 1 shotting people 20 lvls above. (Until they got nerfed.)

In any case, do you really believe that not having mages in conan would've made the game any better?

Hovis
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 17:16
All mages bar one ware sub par to any melee class in conan. It's a balance issue. Besides the most powerful ranged class was a ranger, 1 shotting people 20 lvls above. (Until they got nerfed.)

In any case, do you really believe that not having mages in conan would've made the game any better?

Yes. A lot. From a conceptual stand point especially, because it means it could have been like Rune, or Mount and Blade, which it always should have been.

Volw
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 17:16
Yes. A lot. From a conceptual stand point especially, because it means it could have been like Rune, or Mount and Blade, which it always should have been.

Did you ever get past lvl20 ?:p

Felstar
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 17:17
removing that gay healing class with the lightning that was way OTT would have been cool by me :P

Hovis
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 17:18

No. See my earlier post. What use have I got for a Conan game full of magifaggotry? Might as well have called it, "World of Badly Animated Titscraft"

I have yet to see an MMO where the late game experience is that much better than the early game for it have made Conan worth the grind. Games like Conan and even WAR (though it did try to be different) almost inevitably end up as 'Same shit, bigger stats' at higher levels.

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 17:24

What a fucking pointless question that was! :shinner:

Hovis
Wednesday, 8th July 2009, 19:16
What a fucking pointless question that was! :shinner:

Hell I got to maximum level in WAR and the game turned to shit after that, I've learned my lesson!

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 15th July 2009, 17:21
Play.com are offering CO pre-order bonuses. (http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/6080087/Champions-Online/Product.html)

Pre-Order Champions Online from Play.com and receive unique BETA Access with Game Headstart code and in-game item unlock codes. Codes will be emailed week of release.

BETA Access with Game Headstart: Gain access to the Champions Online BETA and then get a headstart of the actual game a week before anyone else! BETA commences 18th August, Game Headstart commences 28th August. Code will be emailed before the BETA commences. (Dates subject to change)

In-Game Items:

Neutronium Shoulder Generators (below left image) - Twin shoulder generators for power-armored heroes, which emit only trace amounts of toxic radiation.
Insectoid Airfoil (below right image) - Flaps up to 90 times per second, and is ideal for the high-flying hero.
Inborn Tenacity - Damage resistance to Physical Damage types and small chance of a 10's effect that will improve your damage resistance.

http://images.play.com/banners/6080087l.jpg

Daymare
Wednesday, 15th July 2009, 18:47

It's funny, I remember from the planetside days that people were always whining about there being 3 teams cause then two would always gang up on one creating imbalance :P

PS: I don't disagree with what you are saying, just thought it was funny.

Hovis
Wednesday, 15th July 2009, 19:59
It's funny, I remember from the planetside days that people were always whining about there being 3 teams cause then two would always gang up on one creating imbalance :P

PS: I don't disagree with what you are saying, just thought it was funny.

Yeah people whined, but gamers always whine. They whine even when the thing they are complaining about is in their best interests. :D

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 15th July 2009, 22:55
Yeah people whined, but gamers always whine. They whine even when the thing they are complaining about is in their best interests. :D

Like levelling up... anything? :shinner:

Hovis
Wednesday, 15th July 2009, 23:18
Like levelling up... anything? :shinner:

Nah levelling up is for faggits.

Ludicrouse
Friday, 17th July 2009, 14:23
TenTonHammer preview (http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/71339) of the Itemization in Champions Online.

Ludicrouse
Friday, 17th July 2009, 14:29
http://www.gamerzines.com/ are giving out 10k beta keys for the start of August, not sure how many are left.

Instructions on the site.

OniKiy
Friday, 17th July 2009, 16:45
Thanks for the info, hopefully I signed up on time as the message seems to have indicated. Roll on August. :)

Ludicrouse
Friday, 17th July 2009, 17:13
TTH video of the PvP Presentation. (http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/71220)

MiMaRz
Friday, 17th July 2009, 19:30
still keys left, i got one.

Ludicrouse
Sunday, 19th July 2009, 23:16
If you have got a key, you should have received an e-mail from GamerZine entitled "Champions Online Beta Key". Despite the subject title, does not contain any Key. It is merely a confirmation that you will receive one, along with a date on which yours will be sent. It should go something like this.

However, a lot of people have asked for confirmation by email, so here it is. You are receiving this email as confirmation that you have indeed successfully registered for a beta code, that one is reserved for you in the database, and that the code itself will be sent out to you on 1st August.

The date that is in bold will vary depending on when you signed up for a key.

Ludicrouse
Saturday, 25th July 2009, 10:43
Champions Online will be available on Steam. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/9880/) Price not yet known.

In addition to specific exclusive promotions for each retailer, all preorders (from any retailer) will receive guaranteed access to the Champions Online open beta, beginning August 17th.

Official Open Beta date (http://www.champions-online.com/node/98965) taken from the US Pre-Order news on the official site.

OniKiy
Saturday, 25th July 2009, 11:23
I should be playing on the 3rd of August for a bit, thinking of going one of two character builds. Mech/power armour style or HULK esk gargantuan guy.

WiGgLr
Saturday, 25th July 2009, 11:26
the trailer on steam is appalling

Ludicrouse
Saturday, 25th July 2009, 13:03
the trailer on steam is appalling

Yeah, Cryptic's trailers are pretty fail.

This one is much better.

FiAH2F07rRg

Ludicrouse
Tuesday, 28th July 2009, 19:54
Beginning on Wednesday, August 5th, the open beta client will be available to preload on a first-come, first serve basis at http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/champions-online/. FilePlanet.com will host the open beta client for North America, EU, Australia, and New Zealand. The site will be giving away 50,000 open beta keys.

Players can get into the open beta by visiting FilePlanet.com to sign up for a limited number of spots...

FilePlanet is hosting the Open Beta... (http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/100/1008341p1.html)

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 29th July 2009, 15:45
When you go through and complete the storyline chain and arc that ends with putting your nemesis in Stronghold, the supervillain prison, you can then create another nemesis. It’s kind of like building out your own villain gallery of the villains you’ve made.

TTH interview about the Nemesis and OMEGA (Endgame Content) systems. (http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/71911)

Im loving that quote!

Hovis
Wednesday, 29th July 2009, 16:10
TTH interview about the Nemesis and OMEGA (Endgame Content) systems. (http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/71911)

Im loving that quote!

That's a very nifty system. Much better than generic bosses nobody really gives a fuck about.

There's a lot about Champions which is starting to appeal to me outside of the usual priorities (OMG RvR etc). A lot depends on how the game plays and looks and works once I'm actually playing it of course, but in terms of how it is set up there's a lot to like.

Ludicrouse
Friday, 31st July 2009, 16:52
CVG has 400 Closed Beta keys.. (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220587&site=cvg)

Go Go Go!

Paradine Hawk
Friday, 31st July 2009, 17:12
Got key Downloading now.

Ludicrouse
Saturday, 1st August 2009, 11:22
I live!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/ludicrouse/Champions%20Online/LudiRMC.jpg

OniKiy
Saturday, 1st August 2009, 13:54
Nice champion there Ludicrouse.

Anyone got a link to download the beta client. If possible I'd like to start before the 3rd so I can be ready for when I get my key rather than sitting twiddling my thumbs.

Ludicrouse
Thursday, 6th August 2009, 11:04
MMORPG.com are giving away Beta Keys. (http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/90/Champions-Online-Beta-Giveaway.html)

300 left at the time of posting.

Hovis
Thursday, 6th August 2009, 13:44
Anybody actually played it yet? And if so is it any good?

I have a beta key, but it doesn't work yet and I have to fart around with Fileplanet's downloader, which I am not inclined to do.

Ludicrouse
Thursday, 6th August 2009, 15:23
Lol at the Moderation abuse!

In order to answer your question, which bear in mind i did with the first post before you went all Emovis. Yes, i have played it, yes i think it is a good game, but i do not really fancy going into details because you are going to play it and not like it. It is just how you are Bread, you do not like level based systems in which you have to spend a good deal of time to get any form of progress. It is not a game that is designed around PvP primarily, it is more 65/35 in favour of PvP, so you will scoff at the lack of meaningful PvP.

I could go on, but for once, how about you play the game without any mis-conceptions and see if you enjoy it. Personally i think it is just alot of fun...

Hovis
Thursday, 6th August 2009, 16:14
All I want to know is if the game is any good, and I get flamed for even asking. Glad I finally got some sort of answer, even if I have to pick it out from amid the extra flames.

Is it really that fucking painful just to say that a game is any good?

Ludicrouse
Thursday, 6th August 2009, 16:22
All I want to know is if the game is any good, and I get flamed for even asking. Glad I finally got some sort of answer, even if I have to pick it out from amid the extra flames.

Is it really that fucking painful just to say that a game is any good?

Christ. I was not flaming you at the start you bleeding tit.

You are not going to like this game Hovis, it contains too much PvE emphasis and atleast 40 levels. Prove me wrong if you think otherwise, but for the love of god, dont take other peoples opinions to heart. Try it yourself and then decide.

To say it is City of Heroes is, perhaps, a little unfair. A much better explanation would be that it is the game that City of Heroes could of been had Cryptic recieved a much larger backing in both terms of money, resources and a much more flexible engine.

Bagpuss
Thursday, 6th August 2009, 18:09
"All I want to know is if the game is any good"

Well you have a key ... use it once OB starts.

Somebody elses opinion may/will differ considerably from yours, form your own.

Hovis
Thursday, 6th August 2009, 19:26
Yeah I'm going to check it out. The impression I get is that it's meant to be one of those games that is inherently fun, as opposed to a game where you have to grind in order to acquire the means to have fun. What I'm hearing is that it's City of Heroes but better, so it merits a punt I suppose.

I didn't quit playing CoH and CoV because of any grind factor involved, they just weren't much fun. They rather neatly avoided the idea of grind as a toll to be paid for better gameplay to come, but unfortunately they didn't off much game in the meantime. Just ropey graphics and repetitive play. Boo. If they can work around that, job on.

Daymare
Thursday, 6th August 2009, 19:41
Tried it, thought it was okay. Not too impressed. It sure is COH 2 with a lot of stolen ideas from other MMOs (not a bad thing, thats how the buisness works)
But I just feel that it lacks soul. Combat seems very interesting, but I just didnt get the "flow" that I believe you should get from a good game.

Hovis
Friday, 7th August 2009, 19:31
Well I'm going to get it for the character creation alone (being that the rest of the game seems reluctant to play). Definitely looks the sort of game where I can kill at least a month pissing around with new toons.

Hovis
Friday, 7th August 2009, 19:52
Got in, couldn't do anything cos lagged out. Now can't retrieve character list. Not an auspicious start, but I'm vaguely hopeful. It basically looks like CoH with my better character creation options and better visuals, so that's worth at least a couple of months of sub.

Hovis
Friday, 7th August 2009, 21:10
Anybody else finding it impossible to play because of lag? Nothing else is having any worries at all but this is totally unplayable. :(

Ludicrouse
Friday, 7th August 2009, 21:40
Nope.

Hovis
Saturday, 8th August 2009, 01:13
Windows firewall did not pop up to ask for a pass through for the game, so I figure maybe that was to blame. Didn't get the chance to test it, went to the pub, and now I can see the black dog. Might give it another go in the morning.

Hovis
Saturday, 8th August 2009, 01:15
Made this character though.

Hovis
Saturday, 8th August 2009, 01:35
Or I should say I started with this character and made this one:

Volw
Saturday, 8th August 2009, 11:05
Nope.

You must be playing a different game :p

Taylor
Saturday, 8th August 2009, 11:24
That font is super gay.

Ludicrouse
Saturday, 8th August 2009, 15:15
You must be playing a different game :p

Have not had a single lag issue at all. Im quite suprised. Maybe you lot just need to get better fucking connections tbh! :p

Bagpuss
Saturday, 8th August 2009, 15:35
Although it makes me feel kind of dirty i'm with ludi on this one, no lag at all once in game.

There have been a couple of problems logging in, but thats to be expected tbh . 20K+ people all hammering the login servers at the same time, but not unusual.

Hovis
Saturday, 8th August 2009, 17:23
Yeah once I manually let it through the firewall there was no issue with lag. Really need to let you skip the tutorial though it's dull as hell, although that could be because I'm playing it with a gadgeteer and the starting powers, coupled with the feeble baddies, are a recipe for dull. Hope it'll improve when I can get and level up new powers though.

Overall though I stand by what I said above, I'm getting it for a short term bit of superhero loopiness. Couple of months of that should be a riot.

Ludicrouse
Saturday, 8th August 2009, 21:55
Overall though I stand by what I said above, I'm getting it for a short term bit of superhero loopiness. Couple of months of that should be a riot.

1. Pre-order.
2. Purchase 6-month subscription.
3. Receive Star Trek Online Closed Beta key.
4. Play/Wind up the Trekkies.
5. ...
6. Profit?

Hovis
Sunday, 9th August 2009, 00:50
1. Pre-order.
2. Purchase 6-month subscription.
3. Receive Star Trek Online Closed Beta key.
4. Play/Wind up the Trekkies.
5. ...
6. Profit?

Sounds like a plan. I can play Star Trek as a Klingon called Cornish Pasty Head.

Ludicrouse
Sunday, 9th August 2009, 01:29
Sounds like a plan. I can play Star Trek as a Klingon called Cornish Pasty Head.

I prefer playing under the psuedonym of "Bill Bailey".

Volw
Sunday, 9th August 2009, 02:49
Have not had a single lag issue at all. Im quite suprised. Maybe you lot just need to get better fucking connections tbh! :p

It was fine today, was rubber banding all over the place last night. It's still rubber banding sometimes - Aion is much smoother.

Speaking of connection, 20mb is not enough? Damn ...

In any case, I think it's awesome. Even if laggy.

Volw
Sunday, 9th August 2009, 02:49

<- Ferengi

Ludicrouse
Tuesday, 11th August 2009, 22:57
We’re pleased to announce the schedule for next week’s Open Beta! On Sunday, August 16th, all characters from Closed Beta will be wiped from the servers in preparation for our Open Beta. When the servers open at 10 a.m. PDT on Monday, August 17th, everyone will have a fresh start, and you’ll be ready to experience the game from start to finish!

Servers will be taken down nightly from 1:00 a.m. PDT to 3:00 a.m. PDT for scheduled maintenance. Other than that, you can play all week long until the 24th. At 10:00 a.m. PDT on Monday, August 24th, the servers will be shut down and wiped once more in preparation for the game’s release. The “Early Start Program” begins on Friday, August 28th, and allows select pre-order purchasers an opportunity to get a headstart on the rest of the world by playing the game a few days before the official release. In addition, all Early Start participants will get to take part in a world event, where special enemies will drop unique items which will only be available until September 1st.

Keep an eye on this site over the next week for more news regarding Open Beta. See you then!

Source (http://champions-online.com/node/164026)

Hovis
Tuesday, 18th August 2009, 17:10
Think open beta just started or something. Fileplanet sent me some mail about it.

PariaH
Tuesday, 18th August 2009, 19:03
its very polished, had 0 issues in game after the ob patching fiasco, but really its just coh with shinier graphics, unless you adore grinding the usual kill 3 things quests and instanced pve content i cant see it being a stayer, pvp just felt like a clusterfuck.

best part is the character customization, the rest is just run of the mill. I'm sure i could get a month of playtime out of it if i was bored, but i dont see any long term features that would really attract me to stick around.

I'll give it a couple more plays over the next few days but i'm doubtfull whether it will grow on me.

Timer
Tuesday, 18th August 2009, 19:21
its very polished, had 0 issues in game after the ob patching fiasco, but really its just coh with shinier graphics, unless you adore grinding the usual kill 3 things quests and instanced pve content i cant see it being a stayer, pvp just felt like a clusterfuck.

best part is the character customization, the rest is just run of the mill. I'm sure i could get a month of playtime out of it if i was bored, but i dont see any long term features that would really attract me to stick around.

I'll give it a couple more plays over the next few days but i'm doubtfull whether it will grow on me.

play aion fool :p

Hovis
Tuesday, 18th August 2009, 19:26

I've heard it gets much better after the staggering tedious and still apparently unskippable tutorial, which has to rate as some of the least fun I've had in an MMO ever. I look forward to investigating this when I can be arsed to actually finish the tutorial (in my defence it's not just because it's dull, it's because it's a bit laggy for me at the mo, rubberbanding etc).

Ludicrouse
Tuesday, 18th August 2009, 19:34

Tbf, the former is a complaint that can be used against every single MMO that has, is and will be released. It is the bread and butter of questing after all.

The latter however i do not agree with. CoH was a repetetive fuckfest of Go to Door A, enter, clear out Office Building Layout 1... rinse and repeat, your spot on there. The vast majority of Questing in CO, however, is "outdoors" with perhaps 15% of it actually inside Instanced areas, which i may add i have only ever seen a single layout that was repeated a single time (Desert Crisis Gigaton fight and the Major Gertz Hideout in the normal Desert Zone). That is playing the game for about a month and a half and getting up to the dizzy heights of level 30.

Basically you are correct, it is CoH2.0 with shinier graphics and more customization. That is understandable with it being Cryptic who created the game in the first place. However it does have some features which set it apart, pop into The Desert, Canada or Millenium City and then tell me your playing a CoH ClusterInstanceFuck! :shinner:

Hovis
Tuesday, 18th August 2009, 19:40
It's got public quests too, which is as good a thing to steal as any.

Odd thing I have noticed though, massive handed female characters. The default female body should be called 'Post Op Tranny' not 'Basic'. Easily fixed of course, the game has great customisation.

The thing with CoH is they focus on a particular thing, PvE above all else it seems, and they focus on it with a particular style. If you're feeling it, then you'll love it, if not, then not. Doesn't make it a badly made game or anything, just this shit isn't for everybody.

Hovis
Wednesday, 19th August 2009, 02:31
Made it out of the tutorial and as soon as I got a travel power = Win. Giant stomping robot, jumping around, smashing people's faces off. Beautiful.

Bagpuss
Wednesday, 19th August 2009, 06:47
Bloody CC'ing fuckmonkey frogs in Canada are pissing me off again at the moment.

It is nice to see they toned down the super villians after last weeks CB debacle ... Black talon .. the tutorial boss fight took 20 mins, could 2 shot a player. Sinisister's life tap would out heal a full equal con dps class zapping her. All good changes.

I still cant understand why "Ebon Rift" got such harsh treatment when a fully loaded "Pyre" can pretty much oneshot 5 villains in on go ... or heat haze which when loaded up is an instacast-one combat art-Villain killer .... christ if the target is debuffed it'll take 50% off a super villains healthbar in one go.

Hovis
Wednesday, 19th August 2009, 12:25
Bloody CC'ing fuckmonkey frogs in Canada are pissing me off again at the moment.

It is nice to see they toned down the super villians after last weeks CB debacle ... Black talon .. the tutorial boss fight took 20 mins, could 2 shot a player. Sinisister's life tap would out heal a full equal con dps class zapping her. All good changes.

I still cant understand why "Ebon Rift" got such harsh treatment when a fully loaded "Pyre" can pretty much oneshot 5 villains in on go ... or heat haze which when loaded up is an instacast-one combat art-Villain killer .... christ if the target is debuffed it'll take 50% off a super villains healthbar in one go.

My cat's name is Mittens.

Tapja
Wednesday, 26th August 2009, 09:37
Soo... anyone plan on playing this? Or are people hibernating (or playing WoW, which is pretty much the same thing) till Aion?

Bagpuss
Wednesday, 26th August 2009, 12:12
i bought it

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 26th August 2009, 12:22
Yup, there are about half a dozen of us or so. There is a handful of the 58th guys who have pre-ordered too.

Hovis
Thursday, 27th August 2009, 01:49
What with my PC having just exploded I'm going to skip this and save the dosh. Putting it towards the I CAN HAZ NU PSU PLOX? fund. It's a good game, but it's not great and I'm still having a lot of fun with my current games to be honest. If I was bored I'd go for it.