PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing RTS game?

Daymare
Monday, 22nd June 2009, 20:38
So, when I come home to the halls after working my ass off at Dare I would like to sit down with a relaxing game that dosn't need me to pay much attention, I am thinking of games such as Railroad Tychoon, Civilization, The Guild 2 and so on. Any sugestions?

Nyana
Monday, 22nd June 2009, 21:22
Colonization, Transport Tycoon, Battle of Wesnoth, Anno-series, Settlers-series,

just download all abandomware games :)

Tapja
Monday, 22nd June 2009, 22:51
Hearts of Iron II, Europa Universalis III, Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI, Caesar IV.

JojoTheSlayer
Tuesday, 23rd June 2009, 08:14
Most seem the have been mentioned...
Hmm, old, but maybe Startopia, Theme Hospital, Sim City 4 or The Movies?

Brain dead like relaxing games I usually go for xbox360 controller friendly games.
Like The Maw, or Wallace and Gromit, but they are not RTSs of course.

EDIT

Gunhead
Tuesday, 23rd June 2009, 08:23
Transport Tycoon Deluxe, abandonware with quite a lot of improvements to the original done by the fans available.

Smooth jazz tunes and you can switch the AI competitors if you just want to play around.

Guy
Wednesday, 24th June 2009, 02:52
What about the newer Sins of a Solar Empire? Or even Total War, come to think of it.

Gunhead
Wednesday, 24th June 2009, 07:59
What about the newer Sins of a Solar Empire?

Read a review of Sword of the Stars with the latest expansion saying that it's become pretty much the best of the genre since Master of Orions.

Daymare
Wednesday, 24th June 2009, 17:23
Have sins, good game that. BUt fancied something a bit simpler. Picked up dosbox and settlers 2, thats a nice old gem right there :) thanks for the sugestions guys

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 24th June 2009, 17:39
Read a review of Sword of the Stars with the latest expansion saying that it's become pretty much the best of the genre since Master of Orions.

Sword of the Stars is ridiculously boring, combat is tedious and it looks like it was developed a decade ago. MoO shits on it from a rather large height.

RandomAlien
Wednesday, 1st July 2009, 11:32
Transport Tycoon Deluxe... BUT! Not the original! OTTD!

Open source version of the game! No need for any DOS emulators or anything like that, much higher resolution, works in all modern OS, can be played in windowed mode (ideal for having it sat on one monitor with forums or media on the other monitor)... Plus a plethora of mods and add-ons, and epic sized maps! I got annoyed with the old TTD cos I found I completely filled the maps and ran out of trains etc, but there's no limit in OTTD!

Best RTS ever by far!
http://www.openttd.org/en/

I recommend this to anyone that doesn't have ADD, because the only bad things you can say about it relate to action, graphics, or sound.

Hovis
Wednesday, 1st July 2009, 12:28
Defcon is worth a punt too.

Volw
Wednesday, 1st July 2009, 15:23
Have sins, good game that. BUt fancied something a bit simpler. Picked up dosbox and settlers 2, thats a nice old gem right there :) thanks for the sugestions guys

Homeworld 2 !!!!11!

Tapja
Thursday, 2nd July 2009, 21:36
Was going through some old stuff and found Evil Genius. Might not be a straight RTS game, but its pretty darn fun :)

Ludicrouse
Thursday, 2nd July 2009, 22:11
Was going through some old stuff and found Evil Genius. Might not be a straight RTS game, but its pretty darn fun :)

Indeed, the most underated game ever!

Flufball
Thursday, 2nd July 2009, 22:42
Indeed, the most underated game ever!

I'm British don't you know?

What about Dungeon Keeper? Or Theme Hospital?

Rebel
Thursday, 2nd July 2009, 22:58
Dungeon Keeper! omg totally loved that game!

Flufball
Friday, 3rd July 2009, 00:15
Dungeon Keeper Number 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54GRN4mg1_A)

Doc
Friday, 3rd July 2009, 05:23
/signed about MoO ludi, shame about moo3 not standing up to its pedigree (even though I actually kinda enjoyed it)
Though now i'm thinking, it may be what you're after, you can pretty much leave empire management to the AI and just control the fleets/diplomacy/spies. (and probably should, microing that game properly is such a ballache)

Gunhead
Friday, 3rd July 2009, 08:27

Ah yea that's brilliant according to a mate, haven't tried it out yet meself but will do when i'm need of a chillin'n'doodling game.

/signed about MoO ludi, shame about moo3 not standing up to its pedigree (even though I actually kinda enjoyed it)
Though now i'm thinking, it may be what you're after, you can pretty much leave empire management to the AI and just control the fleets/diplomacy/spies. (and probably should, microing that game properly is such a ballache)

Yer, compared to MoO2 - the grandaddy of them all - 3 was a fail of the century. Don't know if they've fixed it later on (not that eager to check out as the disappointment was massive for me) but the game pretty much played itself, tech advanced so fast that your warships were obsolete before they even left the dock and combat was too horrid to bother playing the battles yourself.

Nyana
Monday, 6th July 2009, 18:13
You need the old TDD (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3407) files in order to play OTTD.

Daymare
Monday, 6th July 2009, 18:24

Open source version of the game! No need for any DOS emulators or anything like that, much higher resolution, works in all modern OS, can be played in windowed mode (ideal for having it sat on one monitor with forums or media on the other monitor)... Plus a plethora of mods and add-ons, and epic sized maps! I got annoyed with the old TTD cos I found I completely filled the maps and ran out of trains etc, but there's no limit in OTTD!

Best RTS ever by far!
http://www.openttd.org/en/

I recommend this to anyone that doesn't have ADD, because the only bad things you can say about it relate to action, graphics, or sound.

I shall be getting this, Thankz

Nyana
Monday, 6th July 2009, 19:23
Oh hai.

You might like this (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1764/) too.