PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking for increased fps

DrQuinn2
Monday, 3rd December 2012, 15:47
As you probably already know this game seems to be very CPU intensive.

I started out using a stock Core i5 2500K cpu @ 3.3GHz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Radeon 6970 (2GB @ stock speeds)
Was getting about 60 fps in low pop areas/sanc, 20-35 in big battles, occasionally dipping briefly to 15 or so if it was really busy.

My MSI motherboard came with some software to auto overclock, using that it bumped up the clock speeds to 3.8GHz and overclocked the RAM slightly.
All worked fine and I was getting about 85fps in low pop areas, 25 - 50 in battles. All very usable but I wanted to see if I could get it to always be over 40 fps.

I've seen many people claiming to be able to go to 4.2GHz + on the stock intel cooler, so I went for the next option on my MSi board.
Disabled the software auto overclock and pressed the overclock genie button located on the motherboard.

This bumped the CPU up to 4.2GHz along with a mild overclock on the RAM. I Was now getting 100 fps in low pop areas, 35 - 60 in battles.

Being mindful of possible overheating of CPU etc I used this excellent tool for monitoring.

Gives a lot of info on all cpu/gpu cores and chipset status. Min max & current values etc....

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

At 4.2GHz the CPU was running at about 68c after 2 hours on PS2. At stock speeds it was around 53c.

I then tried bumping up my GFX card GPU/Memory speeds. At standard clock speeds it was running at around 65c after 2 hours on PS2.
After the gfx card overclock the GPU went up to 90C (which is still well within the cards limits, but then the fan starts to get a bit loud)
As the fps only increased by a few fps I have left the GFX card at stock speeds.

I tweaked the CPU and RAM a bit more manually and I'm now running OK at 4.6GHz CPU on the standard intel cooler.
Runs at about 75c after 2 hours of PS2 and has been stable so far.

FPS is now around 120 in quiet areas (did see 190 fps in some parts of map after 1am when the server was fairly empty)
In most normal sized large battles it's staying above 50 fps.

All I need now is a gun that shoots people and I'll be happy.

Ludicrouse
Monday, 3rd December 2012, 16:59
I use a i5-2500k, 8Gb of Corsair Vengeance and a 2Gb HD6950 (all Stock) and i never go below 55fps in super intense fights and im usually around 120fps. You may try more cooling to get a little extra efficiency out of the CPU. I run at around 42c during a PS2 session.

Butuz
Monday, 3rd December 2012, 17:16
Yes overclocking the CPU is key in Planetside 2.

If you can fit an upgraded 25 CPU cooler you should be able to get to 4.4 and if you spend more on the CPU cooler such as a 40 heatsink or 50+ on a corsair H80 / H100 you should be able to get 4.6ghz maybe more.

At 4.6ghz planetside 2 romps along smooth as silk.

Butuz

DestRox
Tuesday, 4th December 2012, 06:00
no matter how good your pc is after couple of hours straight playing fps will drop to 30+-

rebooting game does fixes it and you'll be back at 120ish again for a while xP

iv read somewhere that achiving more then 130fps aint possible.. even thou its set default to 250 lol

Echor
Tuesday, 4th December 2012, 09:00
no matter how good your pc is after couple of hours straight playing fps will drop to 30+-

rebooting game does fixes it and you'll be back at 120ish again for a while xP

iv read somewhere that achiving more then 130fps aint possible.. even thou its set default to 250 lolI think you need to check your sources on this.
My fps doesn't drop to only 30fps after a couple or hours, doesn't seem to matter how long I play, its stays much the same as when I log in.
The fps limit is 1000fps default. Its set in the useroptions.ini, many lower it as some cards cook themselves when not fighting, but looking through the UI.
I doubt that game is currently going to run at a steady 130fps on any comp, I often see higher numbers than that, but when its busy, its lower, much lower!

DestRox
Tuesday, 4th December 2012, 13:35
yep after i open useroptions.ini it was default to 250 at least on my install from Steam
(MaximumFPS=250) that is my original value without changing anything

btw its possible to turn off shadows in ini file to get much higher fps..
friend was able to run PS2 on crappy laptop at around 80fps after he done it
quiet big drawback for this is that infiltrators are much harder to spot.. they are actually invisible xD
and brightness seem to skyrocket after that change

also FloraDensity or something can be turned Off...
Ah.. its,
[Terrain]
RenderFlora=Off

Butuz
Tuesday, 4th December 2012, 18:48

Well the game can do more than 130fps but I think you dont see that in general use unless you spend all day staring up at the sky like I do.

I am expecting a FPS increase when (or if?) they eventually implement a working version of PHYSX as there's loads of game physics that just dont need to be done by the CPU if you have a Nvidia card.

Butuz

Karathos
Wednesday, 5th December 2012, 03:47
Still got my i7 920 running, and it's letting me down a bit when things get hectic. A big thing that ruins primetime PS2 is the sheer amount of people around. FPS drops like people's third testicles during Chernobyl.

2x Radeon HD 7770 in Crossfire and 12GB RAM. On a funny sidenote my FPS actually went up when I increased graphics, because it started leaving my CPU alone in favour of the delicious GPU power. I'm clueless when it comes to overclocking, so if anyone's got experience with the i7 920, I'd love some kind of This-is-how-you-retard checklist to follow.