PDA

View Full Version : It sounds like PS, but it's full of orcs...

Shinigami
Tuesday, 18th January 2005, 22:56
Part 2 of the WoW battlegrounds is up on the blizzard site here (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/pvp/battlegrounds-part2.html)

Looks like it's drawing heavily on planetside's gameplay, including capturable towers and supply runs. I wonder where Smokejumper went after he left SOE... ;)

JojoTheSlayer
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 00:19
"Reputation can also be improved through questing, of course. Improving your reputation will be very important because many of the best abilities for use in Battlegrounds, such as calling cavalry charges and air strikes, can only be done by players with very high reputation"

CR5 anyone??? Hmm yeah where did Smoke go :)

Yeah it looks cool. Just hope they have som lower level BattleGrounds when retail hits since then we all will be "noobs" again :)

Since I couldnt move this thread I just made a new short one in the News section becuase this is News.

Daymare
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 07:42
****, wonder if I will able to "pull a forak" (1) in retail as well. If so, it would be great. Would be nice beeing higher level than anyone else :)

(1): To pull a forak: Normally used as an expression for players that level at the speed of light, and outlevels everyone around him, even though he play less.

Visionaire
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 09:22
Sounds remarkably similar in may ways to PS. Will probably be fun.

Oi, I also just noticed. Those schematics for a shredder that can be found in the game is for a machine on the battlegrounds.

Daymare
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 12:48
:O:O need to start collecting them again then,.... damnit

Visionaire
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 13:00
No point, you'll lose 'em for retail anyway, Daymare :rolleyes:

justinalot
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 13:11
Is this version comming when it goes retail?

Is there 1 server or loads?

Can this really be another PS?

Also are you guys patient enough to help the noobs when we get it?

JojoTheSlayer
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 14:07
Is this version comming when it goes retail?
? its a patch not a expansion.

Is there 1 server or loads?
Its a patch...it will be on all the servers

Can this really be another PS?
Yes and No.
The game play and they "way" you fight are diffrent since its a rgp.

Also are you guys patient enough to help the noobs when we get it?
OfC noobs will get help info and stuff they need, but in the world you usaly dont squad whit peps 5 levels higer than you since there another place you cant survive. On the Battlegrounds you more or less have to be at the level the BG is made for or else you just get instantgibed or atleast thats what a 10+ over you level does to you on PvP.

justinalot
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 14:41
Sorry have not even looked into game yet I like things to be new and a suprise.

Will your beta charecters be transfered to the Retail?

I will try game and decide if I like

I didnt like COH as I found it a tad press the button and win if your strong enough.

But people say its not like that

JojoTheSlayer
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 15:20
What is this 20 questions :D

Sorry have not even looked into game yet I like things to be new and a suprise.

Will your beta charecters be transfered to the Retail?
Not an offical statement, but the answear is 90% NO. Server whipe on all servers is my money bet, considering thats what happend in the US and Blizzard never there ether said anything until it was done.

I will try game and decide if I like
Good its diffrent to PS, not that it replaces PS becuase it dont, but for me right now thats what am looking for.

I didnt like COH as I found it a tad press the button and win if your strong enough.What can I say its a RPG, but the quests are good and story wise intresting. There will alwayes be a "hit the right spell etc" in a rpg like its "use the right weapon" in a fps :). Not having played City of Heros I cant be 100% sure, but I think a few classes in WoW a have allots more spells option/tactics than COH...could be wrong doh, but even the lowest spell caster ( even Warrios have weapons tricks/spells) has still allot of spells.

But people say its not like that
They sure do, dont they? :P

justinalot
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 15:58
JoJo

You geezar cheers I am now looking forward to WOW

:D

Flufball
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 16:26
So its still Turn based stuff? Hmm, I remember reading somewhere that D&D Online was going to be in real time....

Shinigami
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 16:28
Turn based? Who told you that? It's in real time, and quite fast paced.

Flufball
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 16:31
How does combat work? What makes it different from combat in other MMORPGs?
In general, combat in World of Warcraft is faster paced than it is in other MMORPGs, without being a "clickfest." When a character attacks a creature, he or she enters into combat mode. In combat mode, the character automatically and repeatedly attacks the target creature, but the player is responsible for timing the use of spells and special abilities to be maximally effective. Warriors and other melee classes will have a host of combat abilities that they can employ while fighting, whereas magic users will be able to cast a plethora of spells.

Sounds like semi-turnbased rubbish to me.

TheIcon
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 18:56
Sounds remarkably similar in may ways to PS. Will probably be fun.

Oi, I also just noticed. Those schematics for a shredder that can be found in the game is for a machine on the battlegrounds.

Or they are for a stupied dumb Horde quest given at a small horde camp along the road in Ashenvale, where some bloody allaince people stole the book and ripped it to pieces and have the horde players filling up thier backpacks with tons of crappy pages they already have in the search for that last bloody page to chapter 1.

Ofcause thats just the way I see it as I tried to do it doing US open beta :P

---

Anyway Battlegrounds looks awesome, and im quite sure its a more fun way to PvP rather then gaging lowbies in ashenvale ^^

TheIcon
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 19:05
How does combat work? What makes it different from combat in other MMORPGs?
In general, combat in World of Warcraft is faster paced than it is in other MMORPGs, without being a "clickfest." When a character attacks a creature, he or she enters into combat mode. In combat mode, the character automatically and repeatedly attacks the target creature, but the player is responsible for timing the use of spells and special abilities to be maximally effective. Warriors and other melee classes will have a host of combat abilities that they can employ while fighting, whereas magic users will be able to cast a plethora of spells.

Sounds like semi-turnbased rubbish to me.

Not turn based in the way that most RPG's do turn based, everything you do however has its own speed. So yes it takes a "turn" for you to swing your blade or cast your spell thats true. But you dont hit attack, roll a die, hit the dude, and then wait for the server to take its turn with all its mobs. Or for some AFK no good player whom your trying to kill, to get back from the bathroom to take his turn.

All weapons, spells, most abilities and talents have a speed at whcih they are used and a timer on when they can be resued again. Swords and fireballs can be used right after the first one went off, Kicking (rogue abilite) is on a 10 sec reuse, Pyroblast (mage talent) is on a 1min reuse timer.

So no turn based crap here.

And when you mention D&D online, I'll place 50 bucks that its going to be scrapped after 2 years in the planning, just like almost every MMORPGs are today :P Alot of mmorpgs have been running out of fonds since the push on EQ2 and WoW.

Flufball
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 20:18
Ah so its basicaly CoH but in warcraft? I realy need a beta account to see what its like :(

Nikodemus
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 20:52
It's basically Ultima Online / Evercrack / DAoC / CoH / Lineage / SWG / Asheron's Call / FFXI / Ragnarok Online... in a new package, with a lot of frustrations removed and a lot of fun added.

Nyana
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 23:24
I thought the shredder manual was STV's equiviliant to the missing pages?

JojoTheSlayer
Wednesday, 19th January 2005, 23:33
I know I play WoW and all... but what the hell is the shredder so many are talking about and whats so special about it. I get its a war machine...what a tractor?

Gromagrim
Thursday, 20th January 2005, 04:55
[QUOTE=Visionaire]
Or they are for a stupied dumb Horde quest given at a small horde camp along the road in Ashenvale, where some bloody allaince people stole the book and ripped it to pieces and have the horde players filling up thier backpacks with tons of crappy pages they already have in the search for that last bloody page to chapter 1.
Try being an alliance player who gets all the pages before realising they're no use whatsoever

Hands up who's dont it

*raises hand*

Nyana
Thursday, 20th January 2005, 10:38
I know I play WoW and all... but what the hell is the shredder so many are talking about and whats so special about it. I get its a war machine...what a tractor?

It's a Goblin BFR with no cockpit :)

Peete
Thursday, 20th January 2005, 11:00
I knew that gobs were a bunch of noobs :D

Flufball
Thursday, 20th January 2005, 14:04
It's basically Ultima Online / Evercrack / DAoC / CoH / Lineage / SWG / Asheron's Call / FFXI / Ragnarok Online... in a new package, with a lot of frustrations removed and a lot of fun added.

In otherwords Turned Based Pish, speeded up to look less turn-based ala CoH.

Shinigami
Thursday, 20th January 2005, 17:01
None of those games were turn based... neither is WoW...

Veth
Thursday, 20th January 2005, 17:10
shredder...
http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/games/buzz/content/p/8/26538/goblin-shredder.jpg

JojoTheSlayer
Thursday, 20th January 2005, 17:14
The shredder...

:eek: Run away, run away :D

Flufball
Thursday, 20th January 2005, 19:37
None of those games were turn based... neither is WoW...

Hmm, Lets use SWG as an example: String amount of attacks, said attacks are done, wait a few seconds while opponant blasts you before the next string you've set up is ready, sounds turnbased to me.....

CoH is turn-based when you get down to the very basics of it. While the turns can run simultaniously due to character speed, its still turn-based. And WoW sounds like it falls in that semi-turnbased catagory, its speeded up so their is minimum friction (ala: CoH), but when you get down to it theres a certian portion of turned based in it.

I shall be aquiring it to see, but if its anything like people are describing it to be, than its turn-based, thats not deffinataly a bad thing, however, I remain to be convinced as to how super-endall gamplayemode+1 it realy is.

Anyway, the point Is, I cant play it because I havent been lucky like the rest of you and got a beta acount, therefore I cannot see if WoW falls into my own defenition of turnbased.

Gromagrim
Friday, 21st January 2005, 03:53
Well because all coputers run from an internal clock, everything is turn based to an extent, even though a turn may just be a picosecond :p

A better analogy is reloading in a FPS - all of your attacks take a certain amount of time to swing, a fast weapon might swing every 1.5 seconds, wheras a huge polarm might get a swing every 3.5 seconds or so, while your special attacks either have casting times (i.e. time taken between you clikcing and the effect happening) or may be instant, but with a cooldown timer afterwards.

It's not turn-based, because your opponent/AI is attacking as you do, simultaneously

Nyana
Friday, 21st January 2005, 07:54
Well the combat log is like this:
Player A strikes sword and does 80 dmg to Player B
Player B strikes sword and does 121 crit to Player A
Player A strikes sword, player B dodges
Player B casts gigantic erection on self
etc

But dealing and receiving dmg can take place the exact same moment, its not like first player A then B, then A again, then B again

Daymare
Friday, 21st January 2005, 08:36
Yes Fusion, the game IS turnbased, like every other rpg. But as I see it, it has even a faster phase(sp?) than coh, so you don't really notice it. I seem to be casting spells constantly, and still having time to twack my enemy from time to time

Flufball
Friday, 21st January 2005, 11:58
Right, so like I said earlier, its basicaly CoH in warcraft form.....

Shinigami
Friday, 21st January 2005, 13:38
It sounds to me like you have a very wide definition of turn-based. Chess is turn based, civilisation (The game) is turn based - ie. I make one move, then the enemy makes one move. The rpgs mentioned have things happening in real time, but of course abilities are on a timer - wow is no more turn based than PS is going by your definition, as there is also a timer to how often you can fire, and you need to reload.

Daymare
Friday, 21st January 2005, 14:33
the real word for the system (atleast I think it is) is timesliced, or slice base.
Most games are really like this, and you can only make one not timesliced games with fps. Even a combat game is a tad slice based (so and so long to finnish a move, and so and so to return to combat stance)

What I am trying to say, is that games like swg. are REALLY sliced, with their you hit me I hit you style. Wow, isn't really sliced much, or rather, the slices are really small, which means more than one slice can fit in a bigger slice. Meaning that the combat is based on execution time and not on turns.

PS: wow is NOTHING like coh fighting style, the WoW one got tons of more skills, and more changes, however the coh got a wannabe raggdoll system.

I would rather compare it to d2

PSS: I miss flying :(

Flufball
Friday, 21st January 2005, 16:02
What I am trying to say, is that games like swg. are REALLY sliced, with their you hit me I hit you style. Wow, isn't really sliced much, or rather, the slices are really small, which means more than one slice can fit in a bigger slice. Meaning that the combat is based on execution time and not on turns.

Aaah someone who's understanding what I'm saying, thanks dreaming, that explains it to me, when I say its similar to CoH, its because CoH also does this compared to some of the more "traditional" mmorpg's, it may just be my bad way of explaining things, but most of said traditional rpgs have a more visible dice-rolling system than the fps dice-rolling system (as thats all it realy is, number crunching/dicerolling), and what I was trying to ask was how close is it to traditional rpg style, or do you have more control ala hack-and-slash.....