PDA

View Full Version : Face of Mankind open beta!

Gunhead
Friday, 28th January 2005, 14:45
Any day now!

Developers announce start of Open Beta

Frankfurt, Germany, 27th December 2004 - Duplex Systems and Ojom GmbH are pleased to announce that the Face of Mankind beta test will open to the public by the 28th January 2005. Face of Mankind is a futuristic multiplayer online game featuring real-time combat and true roleplaying, set against a cinematic ongoing storyline. Anyone wishing to participate will be able to create a free Face of Mankind account and join in the testing process as the full release gets closer.
During the intervening time, the amount of participants in the closed beta will be increased in several stages as preparation for this important part of testing.

Anyone in closed? Who's interested? If you're uninformed it's basically a MMORPG but has real-time FPS combat.

Gunhead
Monday, 31st January 2005, 05:56
Today!

http://fomportal.com/

d/l'd & installed, they better have the login server up by the time i get off work :cool:

b00n
Monday, 31st January 2005, 06:48
I'm very interested in what you guys have to say about the game, so please post your impressions here ;)

Kongstad
Monday, 31st January 2005, 09:12
Signed up last year long long ago. Will download it during lunch break

Brask
Monday, 31st January 2005, 10:16
German developer, must be great ;)

GuardianAnge1
Monday, 31st January 2005, 10:55
signed up, waiting for conformation -

something like PS i suppose?

Kongstad
Monday, 31st January 2005, 11:06
I heard its a neocron clone ( never played it ) with a touch of Planetside.

I'll be L.E.D or a G.I.S. Name: Peter Kongstad, Nick Kongstad or Kong

GuardianAnge1
Monday, 31st January 2005, 12:16
ill join you kong m8 as soon as its downloaded.

Hovis
Monday, 31st January 2005, 12:54
I applied. Not been offered anything to download though. How do I get it I thought it was an open beta? When I try to download I just get a sign-up screen.

Kongstad
Monday, 31st January 2005, 13:01
You create an account on the left side menu. Then refresh to the main site where there is a big white image leading you to a download site with lots of mirrors.. Although pretty much every single fucking one of them requires a site membership/login.

I found one that didn't, think it was the last one. Anyways games sitting at home downloading atm. Hopefully nothing went wrong ( YEAH RIGHT! ) and I can install the game when I'm off work and play it right away :D

Kongstad
Monday, 31st January 2005, 13:03
another thing!

Websites seems to be overloaded atm. I keep getting dead page views on both mainpage and forums :(
Guess they didn't expect such a huge interest in the game..

Neither did I honorstly

Hovis
Monday, 31st January 2005, 13:51
Downloading it now. Could be worth a go.

Tapja
Monday, 31st January 2005, 13:54
Downloaded it... (from fileshack, free download, but max speed is at 200Kb/sec (well, more for paying customers). But cant create an account yet, says I have to wait till Jan. 31st (wtf, its Jan 31st for a long time already)...

Nyana
Monday, 31st January 2005, 14:45
downloaded and installing as i type

Gunhead
Monday, 31st January 2005, 15:08
Hmph, can't create game account yet... HURRY UP DUPLEX SYSTEMS! :mad:

I'll go either military (F.D.C.) or law enforcement (L.E.D.) first, since i want to check all the bells and whistles in the combat system. How that works will pretty much decide if i'll give it more than a try.

Nyana
Monday, 31st January 2005, 15:11
when and where do you get a login to the game?

Gunhead
Monday, 31st January 2005, 15:19
Think they'll put up a game account creation page prior to opening the gates, from what i've read it seems your "portal" account (webby account) ties to the game account just like Planetside with Station account.

Expect heavy traffic when it goes live, there's quite a bunch of people - including me - with their finger on the button...

Hovis
Monday, 31st January 2005, 16:37
Give a shout out when it goes live. Looks a big fugly from the screenies mind you.

Flufball
Monday, 31st January 2005, 16:41
Been waiting for this for ages, narrowaly missed closed beta (apparantaly) :(

Incidentaly G.I.S all the way, I shall be minipulating people from the shadows.

Hovis
Monday, 31st January 2005, 17:59
I'm going to be a regular Pig I think. Constable Hovis of the Intergalactic Filth.

GuardianAnge1
Monday, 31st January 2005, 19:57
you sign up on the main page.

i've signed up, but havn't gotten onto beta yet, still waiting. I have no clue about the game - i guess i should read up about it.

ill follow whoever.

Flufball
Monday, 31st January 2005, 20:11
I signed up months ago GA, still havent got anything about it either

Gunhead
Monday, 31st January 2005, 23:13
Account creation still not active, they've announced "unexpected amount of traffic" and have shutdown even their bbs to help their webby to cope with the load. Add to that the fact that yanks are now starting to get off work/school...

So far i'm not impressed.
Hope they'll have their shit together by tomorrow.

Hovis
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 01:22
Got account active. Logged in. Played it.

No clue what was going on. Looks very beta. I'm going to wait for this one.

Daymare
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 08:52
weee.. it told me that I was not selected for the beta when I tried to log in
:( do I need to get a cd key or something?

Nyana
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 09:12
This bloody game starting to piss me off already, first the account creation was not available on the date they promised, next was the update/patch tool server down for a while and now that I can create and costimize my char the local servers are down and im stuck with a bad textured character waiting to finally get a look on the game.

[/rant]

Daymare
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 09:20
**** same here mate, I figured out that I needed to activate my game key on my account and all.. heh..

But now I can't log into the game so it dosn't really matter :) and if it's not working now, how will it be when it gets a bit later and people start getting home from work?

Daymare
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 09:32
well I managed to log in.. the controlls were completely fucked up (can't use w a s d to navigate, have to use arrow keys) and after about 5 mins, the app crashed.. gonna give it one more chance after school I think.. now im off. Cya

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 10:12
Logging in now, shall see if its good

Hovis
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 10:18
Having redefined the controls and gone for a run about I still couldn't find a gun, anything to kill, or anything to really do. Whilst I like the potential that it is a skill based game it's really fugly right across the board and so I'm ditching it til it's released when I -might- give it another look.

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 10:21
I cant actualy get into the damn thing to play it :( Server not currentaly avalible....

GuardianAnge1
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 10:23
dammit, i still havent gotten in :(

how long did it take people to get accepted when they signed up?

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 10:26
Accepted? Guardian, do you mean the portal account or for the beta, if the portal I dont know, if the beta, you need to go to change account settings and then theres a button to get you're ingame username/password set up there.

GuardianAnge1
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 10:34
ahhh.. right. it wasnt there the last time because the beta hadnt started.

thanks fluffy

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 10:37
GA, tell me if you can log into the game servers because I cant at the moment :(

Nyana
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:00
I cant login as well... the menu doesnt continue, only saying logging in and nothing happens

Tapja
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:00
Well, I even found a place I could go on some missions (which I presume are the places you can get guns and stuffs). You have to be in a certain area for that, think its different for each faction. Use the Vortex thingies to get transported to the right place (you can see where the missions are staging at from the Campaigns or whatever it was called window). However, as soon as I tried to join a mission, I got booted from the game... twice. And now the servers are down so I cannot even see if it was just a coincidence.

Edit: Btw, what side are you playing?

GuardianAnge1
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:05
i just sit on 'logging in' for a bit then i hear an alert, minimize the window and see that there are no avaliable servers.

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:08
Servers should be up in 30 mins apparantaly.

Been looking at the combat system seems nice :), not fully fps like planetside, but more controll over it than games like SWG.

For those of you going to play as LED (Police), when players randomaly murder other players, they gain a wanted level, and you can arrest them which is preaty nice :p (Not to mention the possibility of jailbreaks, or becoming an assassin :p)

GuardianAnge1
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:12
what class are you going to be fluf?

i dont really mind what class i am, as long as there a RL to play with

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:14
Decided on G.I.S months ago, I shall be operating from the shadows and shall eventualy have a mass spy system so that I controll the entire game (Or at least I plan to, first I have to get people willing to infiltrate other outfits, guilds, organisations, and the dev team).

Basicaly I'm planning on getting myself into a position where I know whats going on with everything playerbased in the game. Untill then I shall work as a G.I.S. agent and assassin.

GuardianAnge1
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:16
guess i'll be joining you.

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:25
Regardless of graphics I've been looking forward to this for a long while, a MMOG that has the entirely playerbased crafting/comunitie side catered for with style with FPS combat, and relys mainly on players to set the run of the game.

Anyway im on TS in chat room for those playing.

Argharghargh need to prove my loyalty to the GIS first, so I'm going LED

GuardianAnge1
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:33
i just want to have a go - never heard about it :)

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 11:56
Servers have been up since my last post you fool :p

Get on ts if you can, if not, send me a message my name is Ran Fontaln, my nickname is Flufball. Had to join the LED because GIS wouldent let me in. I'm in Notredam apparantaly.

Tapja
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 12:20
Heh, deleted my character cause I wanted to start over... Guess what, now I have to wait 24 hours to create a new one cause my old character is 'permanently dead'... Bummer...

GuardianAnge1
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 12:21
yeah - they just impletement that :rollseyes:

ill be on for a bit at noon

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 12:23
Bah, playing as LED now, but I realy realy want to be GIS, and they havent implemented the options ot faction swtich.

Nyana
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 12:23
How the hell do i get out of my room? I can't use anthing or use vortex and all i get are socket errors :\

GuardianAnge1
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 12:58
all i did was walk into that thing on the floor and i entered outside.

Nyana
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 13:16
hmm i have a feeling something went wrong with character creation, i did make a char, pressed finish and nothing happened. The next time i logged on i was standing in my room, but i cant use anything or walk outside.

Daymare
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 15:41
controlls are ghey... Same prob here can you log on ts? Maybe we can figure something out?

Gunhead
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 20:17
Daymare you know you can remap the controls, right?

I went F.D.C. - the military. Peter "Gunhead" Hokenski. From reading the stuff LED. & FDC. are allied (well, they are police & military of Global Dominion..) so reckon it might be possible to do missions together.

Fluf mate, dunno if i read correctly but GIS seems to be a wetworks branch of FDC...

First impression:
- bloody confusing, since there's no info at all what is what and where's who...
- graphics aren't exactly top notch

BUT feels like it has quite some potential and this is still beta. Finally managed to get meself a gun and a bit later on ammo for it (looks like closed beta "vets" are mostly wankers across the board: they seem unwilling to help nubs, let alone answer questions. Also they seem to intentionally cock up markets putting stuff new people don't know what it is at obscene prices. Bastards.

Lucky i found an assault rifle in Berlin at 15000 creds and 100 rnds of ammo for it at 9k :D

Going back in when they're upping the servers again.

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 20:44
Well, I've been playing as LED, talking to Kaediin (A GM), GIS are invite only, and are hardly a watered down version of FDC, from what I gather GIS are the ones controlling what goes on to a certian extent in the GD.

Once I got the hang of it, it was rather fun btw, the game HAS potentioal, but has a log of bugs that need to be ironed out, still, it went fairly smooth compared to some betas I've been on. People have this strange idea that betas should be completly bug free :S.

As for vets, a large group of them indeed seem to be wankers across the board, however there are some fairly decent ones, but the main problem seems to be to much demand for to little supply (Thus making such high prices) and thus not enough weapons or people starting missions.

Gunhead
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 21:33
GIS are invite only, and are hardly a watered down version of FDC
By "wetworks" i meant black ops stuff, cloak and dagger deal with assassinations etc. Think i read/heard the term in some book/movie concerning CIA... :p

Flufball
Tuesday, 1st February 2005, 21:47
Oh thats ok, thats what I intend to be :p

Tapja
Wednesday, 2nd February 2005, 11:07
Too bad that atm its a game of 1000 Socket Errors...

DestRox
Wednesday, 2nd February 2005, 13:00
well joined mercs.. couldnt do much in apartment so traveld alittle around citys, then i was standing at some terminal lookin for next destination to go.. and a guy knifed me :S
so then i got some big gun .. and was ony able to afford 1 clip of cheapest ammo for it.. (45k gun) (2k ammo) and then there is this msg 5min till servers goin down for yet another patch out of 2000 to come.. or something like that

impression .. game looks nice, but ppl able to kill eachother everywhere little knowing who ur fiend is or enemy.. way too little to chose from equipment of guns overpriced..

well it still need alot work but but but... for beta... its worth DLin this 800mb

Flufball
Wednesday, 2nd February 2005, 15:33
The way they stop PlayerKilling when not on missions is rather good. If you get killed, you get given a murder chip (looks like a credit card in your inventory), take it to a security pad, and stick it in the box by the button that says Report Murder. This will give them Pentaly Points, there is also a most wanted list of players with the most PP.

Anyone with PP can be arrested by LED and sent to prision (Even you kong :p), and get sentanced for so many hours game time/real time. These hours must be done ingame, you can't just log out and come back in later to have it finished. The most wanted players also have Most Wanted flashing above their heads in red.

Everyone is grey, well just about, so its quite hard to kill anyone. But for those who chose LED/FDC (Police/Millitary) some of the clans are our enemy (Kill them on missions), they are the ones in red and black.

Valkyrieunit
Wednesday, 2nd February 2005, 16:32
*Reads the post*

Iam joining in as well :p

DestRox
Wednesday, 2nd February 2005, 16:43
The way they stop PlayerKilling when not on missions is rather good. If you get killed, you get given a murder chip (looks like a credit card in your inventory), take it to a security pad, and stick it in the box by the button that says Report Murder. This will give them Pentaly Points, there is also a most wanted list of players with the most PP.

Anyone with PP can be arrested by LED and sent to prision (Even you kong :p), and get sentanced for so many hours game time/real time. These hours must be done ingame, you can't just log out and come back in later to have it finished. The most wanted players also have Most Wanted flashing above their heads in red.

Everyone is grey, well just about, so its quite hard to kill anyone. But for those who chose LED/FDC (Police/Millitary) some of the clans are our enemy (Kill them on missions), they are the ones in red and black.

alittle confuseing who i suppose to kill and who to let live.. last time ilogged was chased by 3 guys but got away... really paranoid cuz u dont know who can stab u in back ..... except ur apartment :P

Flufball
Wednesday, 2nd February 2005, 20:09
One thing though: LED is Incredably Overpopulated, I'm tempted to switch to FDC but I have lots of XP on LED now.

Oh and watch out for Raiken hes being another nubbin and a spamming f00ktard.

DestRox
Wednesday, 2nd February 2005, 22:41
well this changed pretty drastic... from every1 trying to kill every1 ..there is no1 shoting now.. cant get exp for missions cuz all got godmode on.. buhh think i delet this char and make a LED tomorrow :P need money and makein new char seem to be only way to get it atm

Ludicrouse
Wednesday, 2nd February 2005, 23:48
D/Ld it.... but servers down.... despair

GuardianAnge1
Wednesday, 2nd February 2005, 23:53
it aint that good ludi...

Ludicrouse
Thursday, 3rd February 2005, 00:21
Not expecting that much m8.... Just a very basic Dues Ex clone in MMO underwear :p

Ludicrouse
Thursday, 3rd February 2005, 17:02
Oh My God....

This game is utter crap!

Stupid control system, graphics sooo bad you would think it was made on a C64.

No fun. Zero point..... This game will be cancelled within its first 6 months.

GuardianAnge1
Thursday, 3rd February 2005, 17:05
it aint that good ludi...

told ya

DestRox
Thursday, 3rd February 2005, 17:49
well 1 thing is sure, it shouldnt be called Beta.. but Alpha
way too many things missing in yet in game really
also the first guys that join and know how to do things.. like make own ammo or sell guns for other ppl are uber overthere run around with full armor of best quality same goes for gun.. when most normal ppl got like pistol with crap ammo and no armor at all
missions i did were like go to certain location and camp places where opposing force might or might Not come out of...
also its really conusing who ur enemy is unless u run upto them and take a better look at their cloath (badges)
things like teamchat aint workin for example and many other smaller bugs

if u wanna do any fun there get a knife of best quality and stab everyone :P

Flufball
Thursday, 3rd February 2005, 18:30
Its quite clearly a beta rather than a bloody publicicty stunt.

From playing the game its in early beta stages, by that I mean, its come to far to be considered alpha, but, because some stupid companies like blizarad and soe have decided to release stress tests and call them betas (Although blizzard is forgiven somewhat as it did name it stress test at some point), and used them as publicity stunts. Some people have got it into their mind that a beta means finished product and that irritates me to no end.

Now, if they had called this a stress test rather than an open beta I would be complaining due to lack of features, but as it stands it is a propor beta, rather than a free game being used as advertisement.

As for the gameplay itself, I do have to agree with ludi, that while I enjoy it when decent fights and whatnot kick off, it gets boring so quick as their is no point at the moment. (Most features such as the pololitical system have not been implemented yet. Fair enough, it is a beta, not an advertisement).

Ludicrouse
Thursday, 3rd February 2005, 18:44
(Most features such as the pololitical system have not been implemented yet. Fair enough, it is a beta, not an advertisement).

If you had played EQ2 Beta you would have known that they added a significant amount of stuff in the last week.

The games wasnt close to being released until that last week, but at least they had the game mechanics well planned and executed.

Flufball
Thursday, 3rd February 2005, 19:13
I never said this beta was done well, I simply that people get a strange opinion of betas acording to what the big companies have done with their versions.