PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Of War: Dark Crusade

Flufball
Monday, 1st May 2006, 16:55
Its been officialy announced, just beating Leo to the punch with this one.

clicky (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=96376&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=849781&highlight=).

James24
Monday, 1st May 2006, 17:05
excellent!

shame no release was stated, altho i may not have read it fully

Flufball
Monday, 1st May 2006, 17:24
"Fall 2006" if you read the article James. :p

Or, you could just give Leo a booting and get it out of him :p

Hovis
Monday, 1st May 2006, 17:29
Really not happy that they choce two such shitty races to add. The Tau are LAME. Incredibly, staggeringly lame. 'We want a race that's like manga cos manga is like so cooool' said GW, and they were thusly spawned. And fuck knows what a Necron is. Where are the pigging Tyranids?

Flufball
Monday, 1st May 2006, 17:33
I think it was more that they wanted a manga race because it was easier to sell it in Japan that way bread.

I do have to agree, the new races are some-what annoying (hey, wait a min don't we have a mr Global Marketing Manager on these forums? :P), but the campaign-"total war did it perfectly, now every game and his dog must have it"-map looks quite nice.

Guy
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 09:20
Erm, it was me that wrote the press release, so you can hardly beat me to knowing about it :P

Ironman
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 09:22
Erm, it was me that wrote the press release, so you can hardly beat me to knowing about it :P
PWNED!!! :D

Isador
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 09:26
ROFLMFAO!!!!!:D:D:D:D:

Guy
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 10:09
We managed to secure a great piece on Gamespot too: clicky (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/warhammer40000dawnofwarexp2/news.html?sid=6148650).

Hovis
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 10:20
We managed to secure a great piece on Gamespot too: clicky (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/warhammer40000dawnofwarexp2/news.html?sid=6148650).

Hey Leo if you've got some playable code lying around (we don't preview without playing) and want a preview in Custom PC give me a holler :D

Daymare
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 11:36
guild beta ftw?

TheIcon
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 11:39
sounds cool :) maybe I should get around to the winter assult thingy at some point.

GuardianAnge1
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 12:04
lol, fluff, you should've read the whole press release and noticed leo's name and number at the bottem before getting pwned.

yeah, leo, get THQ to set us up a lan party to test it out. we ARE the target audience :D

Vasquez
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 14:10
Tau = the SUCK

Necron = the badass motherfucking COOL

Necrons look a lot like the robot troopers from Terminator and Terminator 2. They're like metal skeletons and they use these crazy gauss weapons. They have a lot of egyptian influence in their colour schemes and designs (although mostly they're just silver, with green glowy bits on their technology, but their leaders have like egyptian head dresses, and their vehicles have a bit of egpytian design on them and such). They're very mysterious and ancient, even older than the eldar by far, hwo most people believe to be the oldest warhammer race, extremely rare (to the point of myth) but totally own when unleashed.

http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/jag/graphics/necron.jpg < for some of the old models.

http://www.andy.watkins.dsl.pipex.com/wargames/scifi/scifigallerynecron.htm < for some of the new models.

http://www.roguer.com/modules/gallery/albums/Wallpapers/Necron.sized.jpg < for some cool artwork

http://zappa.brainiac.com/spaceship/GamesWork/bfg-necron-fleet.jpeg < for some of their spaceships from Battlefleet Gothic

IMo they're the best Warhammer race because they're so cool, have so much character to them and have so much scope for fiction, because they're so mysterious.

Flufball
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 14:18
Or, you could read what I put and actualy understand why I put it GA, you n00b.

I put it up here with full knowlage that Leo wrote it, I was putting it up to beat leo to the punch on these forums as usualy he comes on and goes "Oh lookie press release that I wrote, smug mode +1" I just thought I'd beat him to it this time :p

As for Necrons, they are terrible, not only that, they totaly ripped the background made for the Orks to shreads, so that they had to have some new much worse background written for them.

Guy
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 14:31
Necrons:

The Necrons are a mysterious race of skeletal warriors that have lain dormant in their stasis-tombs for millions of years. They are ancient beyond reckoning, pre-dating even the Eldar. Yet, they are beginning to awaken, for the galaxy is ripe for harvest.

Necron Immortal

The Necrons' story is one of an ancient betrayal. Aeons ago, the Necrontyr race clung to their short lives in fear of oblivion at the hands of their massive and ravaging star. They pushed the limits of science in an effort to lengthen their lives, but to no avail. Then, the star gods known as the C'tan were discovered, offering immortality at a terrible price.

Necron Wraith The Necrontyr agreed, and their souls were encased in living metal bodies. What they did not know was that the process dulled their minds and senses so they became slaves of the C'tan. The C'tan needed warrior-slaves to harvest the life forms of the galaxy so the star gods can feast on souls, and the C'tan's new Necrons served this purpose well.

After life across the galaxy ran thin millions of years ago, the Necrons went into stasis, waiting for life to grow back. Now, in the 41st millennium, they have found a galaxy teeming with life again.

In combat, the Necrons are unyielding war machines that bring swift death to their prey. Armed with gauss weapons that strip an opponent's molecules one layer at a time, the Necrons have fierce firepower. Also, they have a remarkable ability to repair themselves, a special rule known as We'll Be Back! This gives the Necrons incredible staying power in a battle, which makes them an enemy dreaded by all races in the world of Warhammer 40,000.

Basically, they're f*cking cool, and have a totally different economy to the other 40k races in Dawn of War.

Flufball
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 14:41
Yes, but they messed to much with the ork background to be worth any addition to the universe in my opinion.

Yes, I have a grudge :p

Hovis
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 14:47
Why would a gauss rifle strip an oppenents molecules one layer at a time? Gauss is just another word for mass-driver. Mass driver weapons use magnets to propel a projectile, usually little more than a metal shard, at unbelievable speed.

How does that strip molecules? :confused:

See I know that GW and all sci fi is essentially half baked science for dummies but if they are going to use the name of an existing tech in their games and then change what it does that's just stupid. It's like saying that a Predator tank has side mounted Uzis. I know it's pedantic but that sort of laziness in world building really fucks me off. Given how much money GW charge for their stuff you'd think a little actual work and research could go into it.

Hincey
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 14:53
Geeks!!!!!

Guy
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 15:15
Why would a gauss rifle strip an oppenents molecules one layer at a time? Gauss is just another word for mass-driver. Mass driver weapons use magnets to propel a projectile, usually little more than a metal shard, at unbelievable speed.

How does that strip molecules? :confused:

See I know that GW and all sci fi is essentially half baked science for dummies but if they are going to use the name of an existing tech in their games and then change what it does that's just stupid. It's like saying that a Predator tank has side mounted Uzis. I know it's pedantic but that sort of laziness in world building really fucks me off. Given how much money GW charge for their stuff you'd think a little actual work and research could go into it.

FFS it's just a game /slap :p

Vasquez
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 16:03
How did the Necrons mess with the ork background? Since the first edition of Rouge Trader, orks have always been said to have been genetically engineered by the Brain Boyz as a warrior race to serve them. The only change with the Necrons was that the orks were created to fight the Necrons, rather than for no apparent reason. The only other major change was when Gorkamorka came out, they changed orks from having pretty normal, animal like mating habits, to working more like plants. I think this was a great change, and really made the orks much more individuall, loveably innocent and dangerous (one ork lands on a planet, thousands born from his spores, planet taken over by orks).

Flufball
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 16:20
How did the Necrons mess with the ork background? Since the first edition of Rouge Trader, orks have always been said to have been genetically engineered by the Brain Boyz as a warrior race to serve them. The only change with the Necrons was that the orks were created to fight the Necrons, rather than for no apparent reason. The only other major change was when Gorkamorka came out, they changed orks from having pretty normal, animal like mating habits, to working more like plants. I think this was a great change, and really made the orks much more individuall, loveably innocent and dangerous (one ork lands on a planet, thousands born from his spores, planet taken over by orks).

/pedant geek mode on
The brainboyz didn't use "genetic engineering (to my mind using science)" they simply used selective breeding, and where actualy part of the Ork race.

The new background describes the Necrons as being servents of gods, which are fully active and moving about and useable (expect to see Dawn of War mods adding them. Think Jesus walking about during the crusades fighting for the christian armies and you'll get the idea), and that the orks where created by another race called the Old Ones, unrelated to the Orks, who simply "created" them to fight the Necrons.

Not only that, but the "Old Ones" supposedly created lots of races such as the Eldar.

Forgive me for getting a bit wound up about this, and I'm fully aware that you're desperatly in love with the Necrons (:p), but suddenaly declearing that with this new race that is introduced all other races where "created to fight them in the past" seems not only a cop-out, but a bit unfair as it rips out established background just to placate fans of the terminator moveis and is basicaly saying that some of the main races for 40k are disposable.

Still, not much I can do but have a moan about it, thats Games-Workshops empire for you. I don't pay for the game, I don't play much (Dawn of War sees that I can save money that way! Horray).

DarthS
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 17:18
I gave up 40K around the begining of the third edition, about the time the first Necrons were comming out.

Gamesworkshop changed from a hobby into a business, and that pissed me off.

I spent four years collecting, spent every penny of my pocketmoney on it. Over the years I spent over &#163;100 just on the rules, most table top games give you that for free.

Bah, I had the perfect Ultramarines army. Wasn't beardy, no tanks, no uber characters, just solid footsoldiers wiping the floor with anything that got close. Then they changed the rules, and forced me to buy lots of new units if i wanted to stay competative.

On the whole, computer gaming is actually cheaper.

Oh, and according to one of my 40K obsessive friends, one of the Necron gods is actually the humans 'machine god', and is trapped inside Mars.

Guy
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 18:21
GEEKS!

Flufball
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 19:51
GEEKS!

Shush you, you're making games for us and getting rich of it as well, so what reason do you have to complain? :p

Flufball
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 21:19
A serious question though Leo, if your allowed to reply, does the expansion have a new intro video, or is it like WA and not got one?

James24
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 21:26
also, are you considering adding widescreen support? Blackbars or stretched only atm?

cheers m8

Hovis
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 22:01
OMG!!!! Also please add a mode where you can turn OFF commanders and super units! Nothing ruins a good fight quicker than some invincible command tosser meleeing his way through a layer of heavy bolter fire so thick you could walk on it.

DarthS
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 22:06
OMG!!!! Also please add a mode where you can turn OFF commanders and super units! Nothing ruins a good fight quicker than some invincible command tosser meleeing his way through a layer of heavy bolter fire so thick you could walk on it.

It wouldn't be very representative of 40K then, would it. :rolleyes:

Hovis
Tuesday, 2nd May 2006, 22:55
It wouldn't be very representative of 40K then, would it. :rolleyes:

That's not necessarily a bad thing. :D

Guy
Wednesday, 3rd May 2006, 10:48
A serious question though Leo, if your allowed to reply, does the expansion have a new intro video, or is it like WA and not got one?

Can't say right now, but the Blur intro to DoW is my fave movie of all time. Just tooooooo cool :)

Guy
Wednesday, 3rd May 2006, 10:49

I guess that would depend on firstly how they're balanced and secondly whether they're available in MP or not, wouldn't it?

DarthS
Wednesday, 3rd May 2006, 21:39
So I take it your a real life games developer Leo?

Hows that working out for you? :cool:

Guy
Wednesday, 3rd May 2006, 22:22
Not quite. I was originally PR Manager at Activision, then swapped to Producer and worked on the (Medieval, Rome and Spartan) Total War games for 4 years. I'm now back in PR (Global PR Manager) at THQ.

Hovis
Wednesday, 3rd May 2006, 23:15
That's pretty cool. I'm blatantly going to hassle you for preview code ALL THE TIME.

Starting tomorrow. :D

Flufball
Wednesday, 3rd May 2006, 23:16
That's pretty cool. I'm blatantly going to hassle you for preview code ALL THE TIME.

Starting tomorrow. :D

And you know the funny thing? Hes been advertising this fact for the past year on these forums and people still haven't caught on :p

DarthS
Wednesday, 3rd May 2006, 23:39
Wait, you were vaguely affiliated with Medieval: Total War?

OMG! I WANT YOUR BABIES! :D

That game almost cost me my degree. I love it to bits.

Hows the sequal comming along?

Flufball
Wednesday, 3rd May 2006, 23:54
Hes in THQ now you nubbin. THQ are not assoicated to Activision. :p

I belive Leo was associate producer on both Rome and Medieval. I could be wrong, but thats what my memory tells me.

Edit: Ah the joys of pure text, jokes never convey as well as they should. Stealth Edit smiely to bring the point accross ftw!

GuardianAnge1
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 02:10
And you know the funny thing? Hes been advertising this fact for the past year on these forums and people still haven't caught on :p

i caught on and am currently figuring out a way to get a job from the bastard :D

Flufball
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 10:04
i caught on and am currently figuring out a way to get a job from the bastard :D

Ditto.

Guy
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 10:18
Hmm. Need a teabitch...

WiGgLr
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 10:27
GA would fit perfectly then

Flufball
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 11:07
Incdentaly the video thats out, it looks ok, the tau look bearable, the necrons look ok(ish) despite the fact that they are the most useless introduction ever.

I think I'm going to like this expansion regardless.

Guy
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 12:09
Honestly, it's got so much content in it that it's more than just an 'expansion'. I really think people will be very, very surprised by this.

Flufball
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 12:18
Honestly, it's got so much content in it that it's more than just an 'expansion'. I really think people will be very, very surprised by this.

I know I tell you this repeatadaly, but you realy do have a talent for bringing out jelousy :p

If the campaign map is anything close to rome, doesn't have to be exactly like it, but if it can keep me entertained for hours on end of singleplayer fun then I'll be buying it alone for that.

A big list of features would be nice, but I dare say you'd lose your job if you gave us it :p

GuardianAnge1
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 12:57
Hmm. Need a teabitch...

well, if you could give me an amazing reccomendation, then i'll go out and fucking farm the tea grains for you :p

Hovis
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 16:51
I know I tell you this repeatadaly, but you realy do have a talent for bringing out jelousy :p

If the campaign map is anything close to rome, doesn't have to be exactly like it, but if it can keep me entertained for hours on end of singleplayer fun then I'll be buying it alone for that.

A big list of features would be nice, but I dare say you'd lose your job if you gave us it :p

The campaign map mode of Battle For Middle Earth 2 has kept me playing that, despite my brain continually telling me it's a pile of shite. :D

If it's better than BFME2 campaign map it's onto a winner, I don't think it could actually be worse, BFME2 only did the absolutely bare minimum in their campaign game.

DarthS
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 19:33
I've been playing Far Cry lately, and I can't work out if I like it or not.

Great fun when your getting chassed by marines and choppers while trying to sunbathe on a hang glider, but every time the 'plot' or 'acting' comes up I want to boil my eyes in cooking oil.

Couldn't they have made it toggleable?

Flufball
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 19:43
Marines where fun, but I never had any liking for the stupid wired monkeys with rocket launchers on their arms.

DarthS
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 19:53
I think they pinched them from Doom.

Its fun, but its not a patch on say, FEAR, even if that ripped off Akira.

Hovis
Thursday, 4th May 2006, 22:11
It's about two years older than FEAR though, and it still looks the tits, specially with HDR on.

DarthS
Sunday, 7th May 2006, 03:07
Graphics don't score very high in my department.

Its a damm shame, because it has some great open areas and the human AI is fantastic. But the beasties, and the some of the level design (particualy in interiors) its just apauling.

That and the location of save points. If your going to remove quicksaves, fair enougth, it has its up-points. But that means you must, absoultly, be 100% perfect with your save locations. I've repated many parts of the game to tedium because after doing one particually hard section, id have a long trek with no health before I could save my progress.

Fair enougth, I'm playing the game on Hard, I'd expect it to be tricky. But this just seems like lazy design.

Vasquez
Sunday, 7th May 2006, 22:23
Funny, I just started replaying FarCry, but it looks shit because for some reason my PC dosn't like it playing with water, lighting or shadow settings above "very low". If I set these above "very low", every surface in the game is at maximum brightness, and decals and water don't display properly :S

DarthS
Monday, 8th May 2006, 00:53
I'll say this for the Far Cry team, they do make some prity, prity games.

Crysis is looking like almost photographic quality, take a look at this; the shots get better on each page.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/04/20/crysis_new_screenshots/1.html

WiGgLr
Monday, 8th May 2006, 10:36
Vasquez, I had that problem.. download the FarCry patch

Vasquez
Monday, 8th May 2006, 15:48
Ok, cheers.