Thread: Wargame: European Escalation

Default Wargame: European Escalation

A new RTS which is out in a week or so.

To sum it up, Supreme Commander's ability to zoom in from a Continent view to a single blade of grass has had sex with RUSE and World In Conflict at the same Swinger Party. Nine months later this plopped out into the waiting arms of the Midwife.

This game is set during the Cold War, i think around 70's or 80's. You basically have a "Deck" of units that you can call upon during a battle. As you fight battles you gain Experience and Command Stars, these Stars are used to unlock more units. Speaking of units, there are over 350, seperated between NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

This game is about as close as you can get to Red Dawn without digging up Patrick Swayze.

[YOUTUBE]xhIBF_jyLPY[/YOUTUBE]

From what I've seen it actually looks very promising. Actual tactical depth, involving use of terrain, combined arms and all that good stuff, yet put together in a way that's gamey enough to be, y'know, fun. I also like the range on it, long range units like artillery are actually long ranged, but they aren't just the LOL NAU I KLIK ON MAP U DAI weapons that they were in World In Conflict.

Definitely going to keep an eye on this.

Escalated from keeping an eye on to buying this. Will report back how much or how little it sucks.

D'oh.

It's not good.

But it gets better.

Hmm.

Okay just had a game against some guys about my skill level (nubs) and it was actually really cool. Artillery can dominate on the high force size games, but it's impractical to have a big long range barrage team, and defend it, on a small points game, as the opposing team in my last game found out when a squad of TOW armed Lynx helicopters bombed up all his rocket batteries.

Hmm. Played more. Finding more flaws. Such as not sure what/if/is there a counter to arty spam. Also because it's a level grind RTS, lot of players just join a game and go AFK, which is fucking worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovis View Post
    Hmm. Played more. Finding more flaws. Such as not sure what/if/is there a counter to arty spam. Also because it's a level grind RTS, lot of players just join a game and go AFK, which is fucking worthless.
    Fast Vehicles, ATGM Choppers and Special Forces.

You don't do much = You don't get much XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicrouse View Post
    Fast Vehicles, ATGM Choppers and Special Forces.

You don't do much = You don't get much XP.
    Yeah I've had some success with ATGM choppers. I think it depends on the force size though to an extent, in the big games with a lot of points on the field you can comfortably plant SAM units in a screen around your artillery and if your allies are pushing overland to the front it's a tough combo to beat. But then arguably that's a balanced army in that formation.

What's the deal with special forces? I've use Paras to steal enemy FOBs before, but haven't unlocked the SAS yet.

This is actually a very good game by the way. It will take some getting used to, because it's very strategy/tactics based rather than gamey, but it's really rewarding and challenging. I've played a few games and even if you're really up against it it's easy to do some encouraging damage and even a nub can be difficult to break down.