Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StarCraft 2: Playing as Zerg

Default StarCraft 2: Playing as Zerg

Recently started playing SC2 again - giving Zerg a try. Bearing in mind I am a total RTS newb, can anyone give me some tips?

Bind the backspace function (cycles your screen through hatcheries) to space. Inject. Spread overlords over the map. Inject. Get a macro hatch if you're floating loads of minerals, you'll need the larva. And for god's sake, don't forget to inject.

10 overlord
    14 pool
    15 gas
    16 roach house + queen
    17 worker + 2x overlords
    then mass roach.
    when you feel comfortable you can upgrade your hatch and build some more workers.

when your first 3 roaches pop start attacking (~5 min).
    you will be in front of his base well before he has any siegetanks or aircrafts.
    your mission is to kill his fancy tech building firstand then kill his army.

i got all the way from bronce to nr1 diamond with this build.
    i only have 30-60 apm.

6 pool
    -win

what else do you need

Quote Originally Posted by void View Post
    6 pool
    -win

what else do you need
    that's not true 6 pool is very easy to defend against just with workers.
    and especially on maps with multiple spawning positions you are fucked.

Yeah tried it vs medium Terran AI and the SCVs easily took out my Zerglings.

The roach rush is fine if all you want to do is win.
    Even with good control its a bit rock paper scissors.

Krez gave some decent advice, and it will hold up fine til plat, in all likelyhood.
    Making a spine at your natural @5 minutes so that it covers your ramp and some of your mineral line is a good idea if you don't know how to scout/what to scout for. It will build in time for many early game pushes.
    Also learn to block ramps with queens (narrows ramps only need 1 dead centre) until you have enough units out to defend.
    When you start laddering, don't be afraid to ask how to deal with things you have a problem against. Zerg often have to rely on game knowledge in the early game.

When scouting early:
    v T and P look for buildings... seriously, knowing they haven't built anything in their own base is important.
    Proxy raxx/gateways/cannon rushes hurt :<
    send OL's somewhere near opponents base.
    You may need to sacrifice it to see what's gong on.

vT
    look for whether they take gas. If not, look for a CC. if no CC, expect an aggressive bunker rush of some description.
    vP
    Forge first opening? take a third and maybe a 4th asap, a lot of pushes here come post 10 minutes.
    look at nexus energy, if its building up, early gateway attacks are likely. (they could be faking, or just bad though) Don't over expand, spine up and drone/tech. Unit production here is a matter of practice and style :P (I never got the knack of holding 4gates when I briefly laddered as zerg )

vT
    When your first lings pop, send to xelnaga towers. Send one to scout the front unless you're planning a timing attack, or you *know* what they're doing.
    Try to see what addons are on his building, if he opened gas earlier, and you see a reactor/factory hellions are coming.
    You need to defend this push well or you will instantly lose. Vad spent 2 hours killing me with 4 hellions as I learned to defend it, and he still catches me with it (he's much better than you'll face in bronze though :P)
    Count his units. If he has a few marines, but you see nothing else, suspect foul play.
    Knowing what the terran is doing from what you scout is an arsehole, and its a lot of guess work :P BUT after a while you should see the patterns.

vP
    lings to towers, possibly try a ling runby to see his tech.
    Count his sentries to see if he's spending his gas that way, a lot of zealots may mean heavy teching but lots of stalkers are too expensive to get much tech out in support.

General tips.
    • Minimap awareness is key (Vad will giggle at seeing my advice on that, considering how much I miss :<)
    • Spreading creep is *very* important. Put a tumor down to connect your main and natural quite quickly.
    • Dont let yourself get supply blocked. I still do this a lot and its a game ender.
    • Spread your OL's into any dead space around your base. You want full vision and as much advance warning of drops as possible.
    • Hotkey lings and bling seperately, Dont attack move Blings, right click a target (the maribe ball for terran, for instance) or move command behind your target.
    • Have a plan in your head before the game starts. Muta/ling is popular, as is infestor/ling. If you just want to focus on mechanics, massing roaches will work fine, as long as you prepare for when they are countered.

Guess I'll stop my assault of words now
    gl hf.

roaches are solid units that can defend of anything without you having to do complicated micro.
    of course it it best to go hatch first and build no units at all, but Fusion is not a corean superstar.
    and even those corean starcraft superstars mess up this shit all the time.

also Fusion will struggle hard enouth to keep larva inject and his buildorder perfect for months, it's just stupid to give him so much shit to look out for.

I guess you don't play starcraft and just watch the replays, or maybe you are really good and can't even imagine that there are people with 30 apm that struggle wit the bbasics of their buildorders when tey get distracted. Either way you live in a bubble my friend.

I even think that spreading creep is too much for someone who just started, focusing on the larva inject and expanding is hard enouth.
    Also scouting is way to expansive for a beginner, since he does not know what to do with te information anyways. Worse he could even get distracted and mess up his build. Further you see all kinds of fucked up shit in the bases of low leage players that make no sence at all. i bet you that 97% of the time theysave nexus energy theyeither don't know what chrono boost is, or they are to stressed with the basics to remember doing it.

I'm no pro, I have problems with micro, problems with inject, problems with creep spread, problems with map awareness.
    BUT I don't play games just to win. I play games so that I can improve.
    Everything I said in my post is something I wish somebody would have told me when I started, so I could work on good habits from the start.
    Giving somebody a build order and saying GOGO is far worse than giving somebody advice on playing the game correctly.
    Note, I told him exactly what to scout for, basics. I could have gone further, but honestly, I'm not that great at it myself. But knowing what tools are available and what information you see can tell you about the opponents plans is *very* reassuring to a new zerg player.
    I also said to only scout if he wanted to play straight up. If he wants to play with build order and timing attacks, then no need.
    It's called being thorough and offering alternatives.

I apologise for assuming that somebody asking for start help might actually want help GETTING STARTED, not a guide to reach diamond rolling dice and not learning anything.
    I cant believe your post... honestly you have sickened me.

Most zergs i meet expand really fast to their second base, and then start making units. On most maps, you can defend quite easily your natural expand, and zergs kinda need the extra larvas. Think about a Spine Crawler or two.

Most important things then are : try to know what your opponent is doing (creep, overlord, xel naga, running speedlings), produce drones when you're quiet, units when you need to, and always try to have one more base than your non zergish opponent.

Then you'll progress and learn some timings, yours or terran/protoss so you can defend efficiently.