Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a new sound card... [purchased]

Default Thinking of buying a new sound card... [purchased]

I've ordered myself a Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset, but I've been wondering if my on-board Realtek HD sound will be up to the job (specifically I only have 3x3.5mm jacks on the back panel + 2 on the front panel).

Was considering a ASUS ROG Xonar Pheobus Solo (assuming I have a spare 6 pin power cable - still need to check) but I'd welcome any other recommendations...

Edit: my PSU is a OCZ ZS Series PSU 650W so looks like I'm out of 6 pin power cables (both in use by my GPU), so I will need to use an adapter cable from a pair of spare SATA power adapters, though I am a little concerned that I might be pushing the power usage on my PSU. Do you think I can squeeze more juice out?

Intel Core i5 2500K (3.3GHz) @ 4.3GHz
    Gigabyte GA-Z68-AP (rev 1.0)
    2x4GB Samsung Green MV-3V4G3D/US PC3-12800 DIMMS
    HIS HD 6950 IceQ X PLUS Edition 2048MB
    OCZ Agility 3 256MB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB ST500DM002
    1TB RAID 1 (Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB + Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB)

Edit2: here's a photo

2013-08-18 17.12.54.jpg
    Last edited by Fusion; Sunday, 18th August 2013 at 17:14. Reason: Links added + PC specs

Default Re: Thinking of buying a new sound card... advice needed please

Onboards are pretty good these days, if i were you then i would try out the headset with just that and see if you are happy - besides, you look a little short on case space!

External usb sound cards are the way to go for keeping that tidy. Also it does look as if you are short on access to pcie slots!

I've no idea about current best deals, but audiophiles don't seem to use anything other than usb for sound these days

@Ludicrouse Biggest problem with the onboard sound is I will need to use the front panel connectors to get 7.1 sound with the headset.
    @Echor There is a PCIE slot above the GPU free or I could use the second x16 slot.
    Last edited by Fusion; Monday, 19th August 2013 at 09:56.

any soundcard from the asus range will definetly be an upgrade on onboard sound, even as ludi rightly says they are pretty good, an asus would give you a noticeable improvement. if you're worried about airflow being restricted with the addition of another pci-e card in there then you can go for a card that won't block it so much like this one. i know it's a lot cheaper than what you are keen to spend but it will still nonetheless be an upgrade over onboard, has a nice headphone enhancement option, won't take up a power adapter or over burden your psu either. plus it has connectors for front panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    @Echor There is a PCIE slot above the GPU free or I could use the second x16 slot.
    I saw that, I tend to disregard the slots beside the slot the graphics card is in, until I can be sure that they aren't sharing any resources, I've not looked up your motherboard, so it would be worthwhile checking that which slots do share. It would be a shame to reduce your graphics to x1 accidently.

I do have an asus soundcard knocking about unused, a Zonar Xense, I could dig it out if you'd like to test it?

Quote Originally Posted by Echor View Post
    I saw that, I tend to disregard the slots beside the slot the graphics card is in, until I can be sure that they aren't sharing any resources, I've not looked up your motherboard, so it would be worthwhile checking that which slots do share. It would be a shame to reduce your graphics to x1 accidently.

I do have an asus soundcard knocking about unused, a Zonar Xense, I could dig it out if you'd like to test it?
    That's quite a high end card you're not using... Thanks for the offer, though I ordered a Xonar DX which should arrive tomorrow.

According to Gigabyte, the unused PCIEx16 (running at x4) slot will be reduced to PCIEx1, so I'm all good there.

Headset was on my desk this morning, only tested with 2.0 so far but sounding great and very comfy.

Just be careful with the retractable mic. It'll snap off if you put it away after every use.

Quote Originally Posted by WiGgLr View Post
    Just be careful with the retractable mic. It'll snap off if you put it away after every use.
    That is why i refuse to buy a decent headset anymore, none of them can stand the abuse. Apart from the one Ludi recommended a plantronics one from scan for about 20. Bargin and aint broken in about a year

I use my HD webcam mic now, it's far better quality than the Razer Tiamat 7.1 ever was