Thread: So, game over then

Default So, game over then

Any final thoughts about this before they bury it in the garden under a paving slab?

There's was a lot I liked about it to be honest, I liked shield walls, I liked that part of a fort defence where you were digging deep and trying to fight over every inch of land, could be really intense and challenging. Also the PvE was decent and the PvP at all levels was a really fun thing.

However, so much wrong.

Some absolutely broken mechanics, broken at a conceptual level. Too much PvE in the RvR. Too much emphasis on avoiding other players to get RvR rewards. Classes all out of whack. Massive, stupid, grind for stupid items.

People will say of a game like this that it had potential, but it didn't really. Once they decided that it was a two faction deal it was basically fucked because that killed any chance of RvR being good, and nothing else was going to carry it.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, into the trash it goes.
    This machine kills purple dinosaurs.

Default Re: So, game over then

For once I mostly agree with you, but dismissing potential is daft, as mechanics can (and have been) salvaged/stolen from it and hopefully lessons get learned.
    I really hope MMO devs quit the two faction bullshit some time soon ><
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger

Yeah I suppose I was harsh. But two factions really is absolute wank. I don't know if a game could ever be good enough to overcome such a terrible flaw and have viable factional PvP. Once that had been buggered up all the good things the game did have were sort of lost.

Stuff like the public quests was good though, think WAR was the first to do that, but I could be wrong. Also having characters who are solid in the world, that was good. Some of the crowd control was a bit over the top though.

Damn it. Kind of feel bad it's dead now even though I hadn't played it in ages and was never planning to again.

Still there's that new Warhammer 40k MMO meant to be out in 2015. Maybe that won't munch all the arse.

Punt an Orc .... nuff said

DestRox is offline Gordon Freeman Planetside Member
    SWTOR Guild Member

Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) is a 3D medieval fantasy MMORPG, released on October 10, 2001
    since then only mmo game that has "RvRvR" is GW2...
    it is pretty disappointing that other producers didnt learn from DAoC success and made a 3 faction mmo
    WH was fun for a while... but had loads of flaws of which only few are mentioned above..
    maybe someday we'll see its "good" reincarnation just like FF-XIV or maybe announced WH40
    dont have high hopes... and 2014 should be good year for new mmos so 2015 for WH40 might be a bit late
    RIP WH

Pirates of the Burning Sea did it well, by having four factions, one of which was asymmetrical, the balance of power was able to right itself. Planetside had three too. I don't know why it's not the default to have at least three.

DestRox is offline Gordon Freeman Planetside Member
    SWTOR Guild Member

Oh so true.. Planetside is still one of its kind game, thats why we love it so much

With Warcraft and its clones, I blame game design.

Though many quests and such are shared, many are not, and so each faction sees content that the majority of subscribers will never see, as people tend to pick a faction and stick to it (I started as an ally, and switched, and even though I loved my original character, I never managed to keep it up to date and haven't seen any Alliance only stuff since early TBC)

It's a fundamental design limitation (if not outright flaw) and completely unnecessary, tbh.

With dynamic questing (public quests and the GW2 style) there is no need for such focused design in an MMO, people *will* enjoy a sandbox if given the tools to.
    I think many devs simply get lost in wanting to create a narrative, and are still reliant on oldschool RPG methods, and those from other media.

I'm sure something ground breaking will eventually happen, but I was sure minecraft would have an impact, as its sandbox is entirely undirected, and can be treated very much like an MMO.
    ** World of Warcraft **
    Lyoth - Slacking Ranger