Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    January 2005
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    1,525

    Default EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    Hi folks,

    Here's the thing: I've tried getting into EVE about 4 or 5 times in the past, and always failed. It's always seemed like a game that would suit me perfectly, but I just can't quite get to grips with it. I'm giving it yet another try now and I have to say that I'm finally actually having fun, despite only being in tutorials still. I've signed up to join EVE University guild and they've been a great help so far in answering stupid questions that I have

    Anyone else active?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,322

    Default Re: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    I value my actual life too much to even contemplate starting EvE again! Glad your are enjoying it though!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    October 2005
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    404

    Default Re: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    If I ever get unemployed I will definatly fire up Eve - it just looks epictastic.

    Butuz

  4. #4
    Join Date
    February 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    1,996

    Default Re: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    If I ever get unemployed I will definatly fire up Eve - it just looks epictastic.

    Butuz
    If you dont mind paying subs, it's not that time intensive a game.
    Obviously if you're the addictive type, that doesn't mean much, but it's actually fairly well suited for casual play; there is no twitch to master and "progression" is not gated with in game time investment (if you have cash to spend/don't mind slumming it with cheap parts)

    Only reason I don't play is I wouldn't be able to reliably make bank on paying the sub with in game currency, and I really cant contemplate paying more than 1 sub for long period of time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    January 2005
    Location
    5048'49.30"N 228'29.00"W
    Posts
    3,937

    Default Re: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    I run the Ginnunga Industries EVE wing at the moment

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,322

    Default Re: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    If you dont mind paying subs, it's not that time intensive a game.
    Obviously if you're the addictive type, that doesn't mean much, but it's actually fairly well suited for casual play; there is no twitch to master and "progression" is not gated with in game time investment (if you have cash to spend/don't mind slumming it with cheap parts)

    Only reason I don't play is I wouldn't be able to reliably make bank on paying the sub with in game currency, and I really cant contemplate paying more than 1 sub for long period of time.
    Only at the entry levels. When you get on and get into alliances and territory warfare it consumes hours and hours often at crazy times. If I retired tomorrow it is what I would play. I loved EvE through Uni but do blame it for me dropping out. Quite a few times I was logged in for the 23 hours the servers were up...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    533

    Default Re: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Endangerment View Post
    Quite a few times I was logged in for the 23 hours the servers were up...
    Good times!

    Operation Foothold, my write-up from back in November 2007... http://eve-search.com/thread/630028-0/page/1

  8. #8
    Join Date
    February 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    1,996

    Default Re: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Endangerment View Post
    Only at the entry levels. When you get on and get into alliances and territory warfare it consumes hours and hours often at crazy times. If I retired tomorrow it is what I would play. I loved EvE through Uni but do blame it for me dropping out. Quite a few times I was logged in for the 23 hours the servers were up...
    What exactly does the extra time investment earn you?
    More money?
    There is no twitch play, so honing a skill set is unnecessary, and once you have a ship you like and can fit it with your preferred modules, the only thing playing more gains you is what, more options?

    The game does not *require* heavy time investments to see the content, it just doesn't...
    The social/team play aspect has less to do with the game than it does the player :P

  9. #9
    Join Date
    January 2009
    Location
    Nieuwegein, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,419

    Default Re: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    The concept of the game always appealed to me since I loved games like X-wing, privateer and wing commander. However when I tried it (been subbed for two months) I never understood the goal of the game. Maybe I should try it again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    January 2005
    Location
    5048'49.30"N 228'29.00"W
    Posts
    3,937

    Default Re: EVE Online - Anyone Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Endangerment View Post
    Only at the entry levels. When you get on and get into alliances and territory warfare it consumes hours and hours often at crazy times.
    That depends on the alliance. Ginnunga are part of an alliance that is in the "Provi-bloc" group of alliances. Basically a group of alliances friendly to each other that own the Providence region of nullsec space. The alliance I am in is very casual/family friendly, and both my alliance doctrine pvp ships, and those of the Provi-bloc on the whole are carefully selected to be both cheap, and effective when used en-mass.

    Providence isn't the most lucrative part of nullsec by any means, but as we're not affiliated with any of the larger alliances we tend to not have major invasions into our space. Of course, that doesn't stop reds from entering, as they certainly do bring fleets in most nights. However, we're seen mainly as fun content that doesn't have a major impact on the political scene.

    We also foray into red's territory too, but it is just for skirmishes as opposed to full scale war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    What exactly does the extra time investment earn you?
    More money?
    There is no twitch play, so honing a skill set is unnecessary, and once you have a ship you like and can fit it with your preferred modules, the only thing playing more gains you is what, more options?

    The game does not *require* heavy time investments to see the content, it just doesn't...
    The social/team play aspect has less to do with the game than it does the player :P
    Completely true. even more so now that you can easily make 100m -> 1bil an hour with scanning.

Similar Threads

  1. Still playing
    By Fusion in forum Team Fortress 2
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Saturday, 7th August 2010, 18:55
  2. Anyone still playing this?
    By Maurgrim in forum Warhammer Online
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, 30th March 2010, 00:19
  3. Anyone still playing?
    By BlueFlower in forum PlanetSide 1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sunday, 27th April 2008, 08:00
  4. Not playing that much for now...
    By Funkybuny in forum Vanilla
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Saturday, 2nd September 2006, 21:15
  5. Who is playing?
    By Panax in forum Games
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Monday, 15th August 2005, 00:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •