Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc's STARTER GUIDE Cliffsnotes for Black Desert.

Default Doc's STARTER GUIDE Cliffsnotes for Black Desert.

Right. This game is VAST.
    There is so much to do that you can pick a variety of activities and there seems to be an ENTIRE game built around it. (you can pretty much pretend it's eve and you're a trader hauling cargo around... *nods*)

With that said, here are some ABSOLUTE basics that you will learn on your own given time, but you'll wish you'd have known earlier. (if anyone has any tips, I'll add them to this post)

Skill points are valuable.
    You don't have enough to buy every skill and "respecing" can be expensive.
    Try to plan your skill purchases in advance and don't buy anything you wont use)

Learning skills from a trainer doesn't cost energy. Learning them out in the world does. It's not a big deal though :P (until you're trying to gather ><)

Question marks on the minimap are NPCs involved in the conversation minigame.
    Speak to ALL THE PEOPLES! (this will also gain you more "energy")
    You gotta catch all dem fuckers.

You can right click objectives on the world map to set your destination. Saved me a bunch of time when I realised :P (you may need to pan the camera around if the map has lots of crap on it)

Toggle all 6 buttons on above your quest log.
    I missed a lot of quests I found when I ran back to places, after accidentally messing with these settings, then found out the default might now show all available quests ><

Keep a stock of food to eat as often as possible. You'll gain permanent health bonuses (it levels your "health")

Storing silver;
    Money weighs a lot.
    When you're at your storage, click the silver icon in your inventory to store it. (I'd been buying gold bars, despite not finding an investment bank yet :P)

As soon as your "black spirit" has learned how to "enchant" (just quest normally, you'll get a notification for its quests) it's quicker and you'll "earn" more by grinding to 50 before going back to quest from where you left off. (I'm not doing this on my first char)
    You may want to skip looting until after level 20, as nothing of value drops. (unless you have a pet to loot for you :P)

You cant see enemies health until you kill enough of them to "learn".
    You'll be graded from C to A+ (S rank is the highest I think)
    Higher grades give better stuff.
    You can ONLY reset your grade at an NPC for energy, but this wont matter until "endgame" - basically, don't worry about these grades.

Energy is needed to craft, gather, interact, learn things from NPCs AND it's spent to upgrade "nodes" after you "buy" them (don't bother on this til you know what you're doing :P you'll be using energy for other stuff)

Fill your character slots & complete the tutorial on em. Use these characters to "farm" energy to spend as you like.

Earn "contribution" by questing. Spend contribution to buy "nodes" (you can "sell" them at any time, so you cant go far wrong) Do this wherever you quest/grind for improved loot, sell them when you leave (unless you need them)

The NPC button in the top right (by the minimap) will find the nearest NPC of any kind you need. You can autorun to this location by pressing T

Try to keep a trail of connected nodes as you move around. By connecting "marketplace" NPCs you get a bonus when selling special items to them (either as part of the trading minigame, or found when grinding)
    If you mouse over these "trade" items it will tell you there origin. Connect that place to the market you want to sell at. The further away the more they sell for.

afk fishing works fine if you can idle your PC. Nothing special, just equip a rod by some water, press space to cast the line and the game idle fishes for you. (fish are another "trade" item too)
    At higher levels, the fish sells for a *lot* of money

Don't bother with using the starting donkey.
    You will walk/run faster than it unless you're carrying "cargo" (either crafted or bought from the "market place" NPCs) AND you will level your stamina up.
    <IMPORTANT> You will need to ride it to "level" your taming to 5 in order to tame horses)

Some quests give you bag expansion items.
    Here's a list

You'll get tonnes of crystals.
    These are basically item enchants.
    Use them or sell them, they're mostly irrelevant (Luck maybe the only ones to "save")
    They have a chance to break on death.

Black Stones are WAY more important.
    You can safely use them to upgrade any armour to +5 and any weapon to +7 (after this you can fail)
    You can recover the stones you use this way to apply to a different item, so it's "safe"

Keep duplicates of the Armour you will be upgrading past those points. You use it for repairs when you fail.

You can view your storage from the world map by clicking on a city's icon (super useful for leaving "collectables" local to their hand in)

Killing (lots of) mobs grants you titles. Getting a lot of titles (I believe) gives you a permanent boost to luck. This is account wide.
    source (translated from russian)

You can press the space bar instead of enter (when you're buying/selling things, for instance)
    Pressing enter is a chore!

Here a link to a Black Desert Bible. Apparently it's outdated, but much of it is still correct

And here is a decent site I found for class info (builds etc) http://blackdesertfoundry.com/
    Not the most clear class guides in the world, but should give you some general ideas.

Levelling guide I mostly just follow the quests, but if I run into purple mobs, I refer to this and gring our some XP.
    Last edited by Doc; Thursday, 17th March 2016 at 15:18.

Default Re: Doc's STARTER GUIDE Cliffsnotes for Black Desert.

Oh.
    I should add some kind of class description thingy so people can pick a class a bit easier.

Fighter: Mobile, Tanky, some CC, good damage.
    Valkerie: Basically a paladin. Tanky with aoe, not so mobile with some support abilities. (yup, I'm throwing a shield in this game too)
    Wizard/Witch: The same class, gendered. immobile, Aoe/support, good dps.
    Tamer: Melee with a pet at lvl 20. Mobile with decent aoe and sustain.
    Sorceress: hybrid assassin/caster. Mobile with decent aoe. Good in 1v1 PvP, less good in group PvP
    Ranger: Ranged/kiter. Well rounded but only "good" in endgame.
    Berserker: Tanky melee, good CC and aoe. Apparently "easy" Weak in 1v1 PvP but awesome in group PvP.
    (think every class has their pvp niche, just mentioning the ones that stuck out when I read up on them)
    Two other classes I cant remember?

thanks man, just saved me prob an hour or so of googleing and reading guides

More tips:

You can view your storage from the world map by clicking on a city's icon (super useful for leaving "collectables" local to their hand in)

Killing (lots of) mobs grants you titles. Getting a lot of titles (I believe) gives you a permanent boost to luck. This is account wide.
    source (translated from russian)

You can press the space bar instead of enter (when you're buying/selling things, for instance)
    Pressing enter is a chore!

(trying not to include too much, as you can look stuff up in the bible I linked)
    Last edited by Doc; Sunday, 13th March 2016 at 12:21.

Mob Con :

Grey = non aggro 3 levels lower than player
    Green = Within 2 level of player
    Red = 3 levels higher
    Purple = >4 levels higher

Exceptions are "violent" mobs which are elites and will aggro at any level

Group grind tips....

group size matters...

2 man = 75% Exp each
    3 man = 50% Exp each
    4 Man = 50% Exp each
    5 man = 50% Exp each

So group size is 2 or 5 for max benefit.

Here is the best way to optimise storage in Calpheon
    http://imgur.com/ha6IeRQ

Here is the Titles buff table:
    http://i.imgur.com/3AF6iH8.jpg

You can also grind crystals for black powder, which is used in most crafted goods

Storing silver;
    Money weighs a lot.
    When you're at your storage, click the silver icon in your inventory to store it. (I'd been buying gold bars, despite not finding an investment bank yet :P)

Was there an eagle holding the start of a maze in its talons on them?

Nice!
    What server you playing on?

Croxus