Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of our Community?

Default The future of our Community?

<Moderator Edit>The thread started out in a private forum for officers. It was then continued in the public forum when it became clear that input was required from all members.

Please read all of the posts and before replying and keep your replies on topic.

Thanks.</Moderator Edit>

Can we have our artist guru's create medals and rank assosiated title's to display next to our names, to show the RL command structure.

let me explain - i think as a community new and old members who dont know every1 within the community need to know everybodies title without having to ask.

If we had a 'ladder' system visually showing individuals importance (maybe the wrong word) and have an overall hierarchy alot less confusion to authority would be taken.

for example - (names in my eyes)

Community Leader [Who has supreme say] (shy)
    Community Leaders Advisor (b00n)
    Community Tactical Advisor (Fusion)

Then have the different games as divisions -

i.e 1st Battalion (Planetside)

1st Battalion Leader (Echor)
    1st Battalion Executive officer (insert_name)

Then maybe have sub-divisons which has other leaders [my knowledge of different army ranks is limited - plz excuse errors of importance!]

[Obviously the WoW sector is the largest atm so they would have most divisions]
    1st Rebellion

110th Rebellion Officer (Rebel)
    110th Rebellion XO (Insert Name)

then display names from top to bottom regarding community rank

Then James' Bumboys

146th Bumboys Officer (James24)
    146th Bumboys XO (T10)

Bumboy 1 (insert name) [Rank]
    Bumboy 2 (insert name) [Rank]
    etc...

Porthos' Whore brigade

122nd Whore Officer (Porthos)
    122nd Whore XO (Prince)

Whore 1 (insert name) [Rank]

etc etc...

Then Put in ...

2nd Battallion (WoW)

2nd Battallion Leader (IronMan)
    2nd battallion XO (Daymare)

239th Hinceys Schaggetts

239th Hinceys S... Officer (Hincey)
    239th H S XO (Pariah)

Schlagette 1 (name) [Rank in community]
    Schlagette21 (name) [Rank in community]

213th Skullsmashers

213th Skullsmashers officer (Skullsmasher)

etc....

EverQuest can have 1 division so to other games which people assosiate themselves with more than others.

And in the Forum name listing you could have it sort into Ranks - if you start everyone at Renegade rank right now apart from selected officers and known veterans it will be alot easier to see throughout the community who has more influence etc...

Regarding Medals i think things like year service / 2 year service etc... also things like tournies people entered regarding COD clan matches, special event nights - 1st to slay Onyxia (obviously too late but u get the Jist) also dedicated service awards - supplying TS, forums and basically going out of your way to help the community - etc etc...

I think we have grown enough to be classed as a multigame community and should have knowledge of each others members and keep track of them.

Any questions / Comments / Ideas / / Suggestions Flames please write them here - please dont spam crap. thanks - Rebel
    Last edited by Fusion; Sunday, 19th March 2006 at 18:20.
    I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!

Rebel

something like that would be cool.
    have to think about proper names for ranks ofc.
    does anyone have the ability to make a page for it?

Hmmmm I think I need to read through it a few times or even get you on TS to really understand it.

But if I understand it correct I think it might be a very good idea. A perfect example on why we need a thing like that would if someone with a high RL rank would join WoW they would get at least rank Veteran even if they are total n00bs in it. (Crappy english I know).

And it would be good to have it on the forum but even better if we could "buff" the www.renegade-legion.org (try cliking it, I bet most of you just have the forum in favorites. )

If there is a problem with webspace I've got some extra to share Fusion.

Regarding medals and such.... hmmmm we would need a SHIT LOAD art if we where to give medals for stuff like killing Onyxia. Yes I know it's not that hard to create a ribbon and such but still and then there is also the administration of giving out those medals.

But generally I like the idea m8. Makes it a lot easier to see the importance of ppl and such.

@shy - I can host a temp page if you want. Something that we (the leaders) can see and post pictures on. On the www.schlagbat.dk page I can create a page that can only be seen if you got the correct access level.
    Irondead - Retired.
    Ironsteel - Retired.
    Ironlight - Retired.

get on TS then =p

Rebel

I think there is a danger here, ranks in a community?

In game yes, that is an absolute necessity.

In a community I'd be cautous, moderators yes, man in charge of forum (obviously Dengar as its his) and perhaps a couple of "leaders" (would have to be careful as to title here as these people would obviously be the driving force behind the community and ideas people, so that would have to be made obvious, but not look like a dictatorship)

I mention dictatorship in a way that makes it look a bad thing, but I myself don't believe that is so. If things are run smoothly and efficiently the average joe doesn't care, he just joins in and has fun, very few people in reality are interested in more than a banter and somewhere to exchange ideas, maybe ask for help etc? The problem with lots of people running something is that they will argue, the fewer the number the better, if one person could do it, better still. (I can see that RL is getting a bit big for one person to police it, so leutenants are a necessity in my opinion).

In the games that are run its a slightly different thing, they are all different and have to be handled differently, that will have to be (as so far has been done) by those that are in that game. (a point here, I forget which game, but it was one of the fps ones where a couple of RL started a clan/outfit and made there own rules, they seemed to do this as soon as the game was out, removing any chance for actually choosing who should run it, these people should have been chosen before it happened, with the consent of the "leaders")

That said, I still can see a need to be able to recognise who is doing what, as Reb points out, new members won't be able to work it out otherwise, so some form of "rank" (and that is really a very bad word for it) is needed by certain members names.

Lastly Reb suggests me as "1st Battalion Leader" for Planetside, whilst I guess that is just an example, due to my lack of hours in the game recently I don't think that really fits, I do play when I can, but that hasn't been much recently.

Ok a little update to clarify.

The idea is as Echor has mentioned about a new game coming out - this is an example like the previous.

So, lets take huxley as the prime example - the following will be going on again my previous table.

Ok lets say that Porthos fancies himself to be the leader of Huxley - to carry out everything needed to start the clan ingame, handle everything relating to it etc... also T10, Daymare and Myself go for the job.

Shy, b00n and Fusion have meeting, inform each member individually who ever else has applied for the role and if they still want to be considered for the role or if they would be happy that one of the others would make a better job.

After this they look at forum community rank, also past records of competence and basically nominate who would dedicate most time into making us good in Huxley.

Now lets say [somehow] Daymare, outranking me as he is WoW XO, gets Huxley CO, his spot is up for grabs in WoW, meaning that Hincey and Skullsmasher have a good chance to move up in the world, and if they wish they can apply to Ironman as he is the WoW CO and deals with everything related to WoW -
    [which means that the pressure is taken off the higher end guys leaving them to focus on community issues. < thus splitting the authority and decision making and leaving it to someone who has the best knowledge as they play the game directly]

Then the bosses decide who gets XO of the new game [Huxley] - again i get superceded somehow by Porthos [God knows - it is afterall just an example!]
    His spot is now open for the guys in the divisions of Planetside with the correct rank [1 under the commander possision - yet to be determined] who ever applies - they get the new title and rank that comes with it.

Anyway me n Hincey still would like to become officers of Huxley to help it develop - so we get put in the pile of applications for officers of the new divisions to be made.

The whole point of this, as well as to give people an interest in RL, is to stop what happened with WoW Silvermoon (this doesnt go against any1 btw) It lets the management of the community decide with plenty of time before game release, who has the competency and dedication of the legion to be put inchanrge of running the show - with our TAG in a new game.

And it finally lets new people coming into the community get to know who the main players are in the community - who runs the show, who has been a veteran for an age, who is just as new as them, and also it gets abit of positive rivalry between different divisions to show off there acomplishments and to be the best! [Man i sound like im selling the army to you.]

Please keep the questions / suggestions / doubts coming to clear things up, or to find out faults in the system.

p.s i have had a word with Gunhead about the medal / ribbon system and he is defo up for making them. This leads me to think we could have a design team for our community - im sure GuardianAngel will be jumping on board also.

I really need your opinion Fusion mate as it basically rests in your court - i think alot of people will be up for chipping in - i have a very little idea how to do something like what i am asking regarding the website - so your help would be of great value.

- Rebel
    Last edited by Rebel; Monday, 13th March 2006 at 00:30.

Rebel

Seems like a lot of work but looks nice if someone is willing/able to put the work in.

I'm with Echor on the ranks in the community thing. When we've got folks in a game dropping on a base, tweaking a dragons nips, guarding bombsite A or capping flags in a stolen Abrams then there have to be folks calling the shots and that's accepted and acknowledged as how we take care of business. It works because we have responsible officers who work for the outfit, not using the outfit to buff their E-Peens, and we have players who respect that the officers are working for them and who back them accordingly. However I don't see this as really being necessary in the community as a whole. Our individual group recruitment policies tend to separate the wheat from the chaff anyway and so the community is predominantly good, smart folks and I really don't think we need to enforce any authority on the group, at least not until it's necessary and I don't think it is.

Regarding Huxley and other theoretical new games; It's a case by case call in my opinion. Huxley is an MMOFPS and my first instinct would be that Planetside ranks be used as a stop gap until we know who's staying, whose going and who's best qualified. Our Planetside officers aren't officers because of their skills as pastry chefs, they're there because they can turn an unruly bunch of gunbunnies into a disciplined team and get the job done. Now if Huxley is a hit we're going to get a lot of old faces back and we're going to see a lot of new blood, and that's all good, but I think we'll steal a march on newly formed outfits in that game when we come in with a ready made team with skilled leaders. There'll be teething troubles from the start, but once we're settled we'll be up to speed and kicking arse.

These names are selected at random from me looking at the TS channel right now - it has nothing to do with the players i mention - again - they are examples.

Khammar [Everquest 2 channel]
    Does he know who shy is?
    Does he know RL is a multi based community?
    Does he know if he hears of a new game coming up that he doesnt have to start afresh with a new clan / outfit / guild, but that we will most likely be playing it?
    Does he, unless he plays with the members of the community know who anyone is?

again -

Ulvatank [WoW PVP Horde Channel], Offerlam [ DDO Channel] (not sure if it is a different guild iron lets play on the server or another game.)

obviously there are alot more names i could choose i dont know.

Ok, if you answered truthfully to the above questions, my guess is that most of them are a No. (Dont bother correcting me if im wrong - its an example!)

With my proposed idea - all the above will become clear as Forum access and use will become even more mandatory.

Does he know who shy is? - I dont know about you, but in a chain of command i always look to the guy at the top. I dont know these ranks could also have a short biography next to them 'if' it all gets implemented.

Does he know RL is a multi based community? - Well again when the rules on Forum activity become implemented properly, regarding you dont move up rank INgame, until you at least show enthusiasm on the forums - which is as little as registering. [The rules shy and b00n set ALONG time ago in PS.]

Does he know if he hears of a new game coming up that he doesnt have to start afresh with a new clan / outfit / guild, but that we will most likely be playing it? - The new recruit can check the chain of command, which shows all divisions which cleverly incorporate each game we play, and also by checking the forums can interact and even ask if we will be taking the new game on board.

Does he, unless he plays with the members of the community know who anyone is? - Most, if not all my points regard using the forums, what better way to get to know the rest of the community by using them? Most people start off by reading at first on forums, only posting here and there, but in time they join in the banter, get to know how people react to each other and find a slim taste of everyone's personality.

I like to let old dogs rest, but lets bring up PVE silvermoon one last time as an example - If my idea takes off, this situation can never happen again - by situation i mean more than half the guild been brought in rapidly and taking over, moving away from the community and then splitting up. It will put in the best guys for the job at the top, show guys willing to put the effort in that they too can become part of the command structure and steadily give everyone a sense of accomplishment by rewarding people with status and achievement.

Now i always like to see both sides of the coin - so please label the cons after this post and we will have a proper discussion - but like DKP in WoW dont discard a 'good' {my own opinion} idea without at least thinking it through.

Rebel

Gunhead just posted a taster of a medal, ribon and info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rebel