Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox360 - Streaming Video to your TV

Default Xbox360 - Streaming Video to your TV

>> Since the fall 2006 dashboard upgrade it's finally also possible to stream video to your Xbox 360 from a normal Windows 2000/XP machine. Previously it required Windows Media Center Edition.
    However Microsoft only allows to stream WMV videos and there's no on-the-fly transcoding (addon) for Windows Media Connect/Windows Media Player11 yet like available for Windows Media Center Edition.

But the guys behind the TVersity Media Server released a (beta) patch for on-the-fly transcoding to WMV which will allow to use TVersity to stream videos in other formats (like xvid/divx) to your Xbox360. The videos will be automatically transcoded on-the-fly by your PC to WMV before it's streamed to your Xbox360

TVersity Media Server lets you manage your Internet and home media and create your personalized lineup of channels, or as we call it your Personal Entertainment Guide (PEG). It then serves this media to a multitude of networked devices in the home or on the go, overcoming their inherent limitations by doing all the necessary conversions on the fly, and thus making your media available anywhere, anytime and from any device.

Here is an early preview for the on the fly WMV transcoding feature for the 360. Since we have other stuff that needs to make it into the next release and since this is not yet ready we are releasing a patch. Please try it and let us know what you think.

Installing the Patch:
    1. Stop Tversity
    2. Extract the content of the patch zip file into the installation folder of TVersity (by default it is \Program Files\TVersity\Media Server)
    3. Start TVersity, go to the 360 and browse your computer for videos. You should now see all the videos shared via TVersity plus all the online video URLs and assuming your directshow has the filters needed to decode these videos they should all play on the 360.

Some additional notes:
    * Videos may take from 10 seconds to a minute to start. It depends on the bitrate of the video. The 360 requires 2 Megabyte of data to be provided before it starts playback. For low bitrate content (like the stuff coming from the Net) it can take a minute to get to 2 Mbyte. For hi-def content it happens very fast.
    * Transcoding in real time of high resolution material requires a very fast computer
    * The quality of the result of the transcoding, can be controlled via the TVersity GUIl. Increasing the resolution will improve the quality but will require a faster machine. You can also experiment with the compression ratios and bitrates, these all affect the WMV transcoding just like they affect the MPEG transcoding that TVersity has been traditionally doing.
    * You can even upconvert videos to HD if you wish and if you have a fast machine by tweaking the minVideoInfo in config.xml.
    * If your computer is not fast enough, you can decrease the resolution and then try again or wait till the transcoding is done and then play it.
    * Transcoded videos cannot be FF/Rewind during the transcoding (this is a 360 limitation) however after transcoding is done if you play some other video and then go back to the transcoded one, you will be able to seek in the file.
    * It is highly recommended to upgrade to Windows Media Player 11 as it includes more recent and more stable encoders.
    Site link: http://www.tversity.com

Easy-Mode Guide

Guide to DivX & Xvid codec settings

This is a great tool if you have loads of Videos on your PC and have your 360 hooked up to your network.

It can be a pain to configure if you dont follow each step perfectly so be careful.
    Last edited by Ludicrouse; Monday, 17th September 2007 at 00:52. Reason: New Link
    "fuck I hate when ludi makes sense, it makes me question my whole world view." - Daymare

thx

np m8

one thing i would suggest is getting as many codecs as you can.
    "fuck I hate when ludi makes sense, it makes me question my whole world view." - Daymare

is it just a test. cos my xbox and PC working at the same Monitor.

But in the Future i maybe buy me a big TV for the Livingroom

I'm having trouble with large files not working. It just seems to crash my 360. I can play the videos fine on my computer, so I doubt it's codecs. It's annoying because it looks like I'll have to burn the BSG pilots and series 1 and 2 to DVD before I can watch them on my TV

Small files seem to work fine
    Currently doing the dad thing more than gaming

Quote Originally Posted by WiGgLr View Post
    I'm having trouble with large files not working. It just seems to crash my 360. I can play the videos fine on my computer, so I doubt it's codecs. It's annoying because it looks like I'll have to burn the BSG pilots and series 1 and 2 to DVD before I can watch them on my TV

Small files seem to work fine
    Some files seem to have been encoded and the TVersity stuff just doesnt like them... stuff like 300 which is a huge file works fine and things like Red Dwarf which are small work fine too...

Latest problem i had was with Ghost Rider and that refused to work at all and i have no explination why, just kept booting me back to file selection.

Some files are abit funny if there names are to long especially some of the torrent ones . Try renaming it to just a few words or if u can one word that mite help.
    PS > NTT101x BR20/CR5

Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    Some files are abit funny if there names are to long especially some of the torrent ones . Try renaming it to just a few words or if u can one word that mite help.
    Hmm, going to copy "[0x01] Battlestar Galactica 2003 Part 1.avi" to a new file and see if it works with an 8.3 filename.
    Currently doing the dad thing more than gaming

Got 360 Working with Vista and My Movies 2.2

I use the Transcode360 Program to stream the Ripped DVD's to the BOX

Works very well no problems yet

380 DVD on Hard disk so a nice collection.

Also Vista Box has 4 Tuner Cards had all 4 recording and streaming dvd to Downstairs no problems

Updated to clean up the formatting and add a new link Hincey found.